Technical Spider 2000 Turn Signals

Currently reading:
Technical Spider 2000 Turn Signals

SteveCo9

Anyone have experience replaceing the steering colum turn signal/hi beam switch? How simple or complex is the process/

I've experience on the Coupe but not the Spider (they're very similar).
Disconnect the battery.
Set road wheels straight ahead.
Remove horn push button (prise it of gently).
Loosen the steering wheel nut (24mm), unscrew a few turns but don't remove just yet.
Grip the steering wheel on both sides adjacent to the spokes and try to rock the wheel by pushing down on the left side while pulling up on the right side, then pull up on the left side while pushing down on the right side - this should free the wheel which is on tapered splines.
Remove the st. wheel nut, check the road wheels are still pointing straight ahead, then remove the st. wheel.
Remove the cowling/cover over the st. column switch unit (there are 2 halves held together by 3? Phillips screws accessible from underneath).
Remove instrument/gauge panel assembly (afaik, on the Spider, this is held in place by screws with knurled heads?).
Follow the 3? bunches of cables coming from the st. column switch assembly into the area behind the removed instrument panel and disconnect them at the block connectors. (note the way the cables are routed)
Loosen the clamp at the lower end of the st. column sw. assy. and remove the st. column switch assy. and fit the new unit, routing the cables as per the originals, reconnect the block connectors, tighten the lower clamp bolt.
Temporarily reconnect the battery, check that all the functions of the steering column switch assy. are working correctly, disconnect the battery.
Refit the column cowling/covers.
Before refitting the steering wheel, check that the locating hole in the turn signal cancelling ring on the top of the st. column sw. assy is positioned correctly (i.e at the bottom) so that the spring loaded pin on the underside of the st. wheel (arrowed in pic. below) will engage with this hole, then refit the steering wheel, try rotating the st. wheel in both directions with turn signals lever switched on to check that the self-cancelling feature for the turn-signals is working correctly, if so, tighten nut firmly, refit horn push button, reconnect the battery and check that the horn is working correctly (if not you might have to loosen the st. column switch lower clamp bolt and adjust the col. sw. assy up a little).

CAUTION : - The above description is from my memories while working in a Fiat/Lancia Main Dealer's workshop circa 45 years ago, so kindly don't blame me if I've forgotten something important... :oops:

STA70466.JPG

Back