Technical 1980 Spider 2000 - new battery and only emergency flashers, dash light & clock work

Currently reading:
Technical 1980 Spider 2000 - new battery and only emergency flashers, dash light & clock work

Rlbow43

My 1980 spider 2000 has been sitting for about 15 years. I knew the battery would be dead so I bought and installed a new one. I didn't expect anything to happen at that point, but when I opened the door the emergency flasher was on and the outside lights were flashing. I thought I must have pushed it at some point. I turned it off and then realized the clock was running and the interior light on the dash works. Ok, good so far. But nothing else seems to work. At least when I turn the key to the first notch nothing happens on the dash. The gas in the tank is really old and I don't want to try to start it with that gas. I thought the first notch on the key would make the fuel gauge show something, but the needle doesn't move at all. Thought the headlights would come on, but no. Have I done something wrong? What am I missing? Is there a bad ground? I'm not much of a mechanic, but I can do at least some basic things. Need some idea where to look and/or what to do. Help.

Well, I guess I was yelling "wolf" when there was no problem. Just turned the key to the 2nd notch and the radio worked, the dash came alive and the 2 red light sensors lit up. Now I can deal with getting the gas out of the tank. I'll probably have more questions as I continue on.

Back