General Gearbox woes....again

Currently reading:
General Gearbox woes....again

So...after the christmas joy of having a replacement gearbox fitted the cars has been driving smooth as like never before...Happy days.
Until...whats that oil spot on the drive?,I asked. Dunno she says....out comes the jack and stands.
Turns out the passenger side seal on the gearbox is leaking.

New/oem seal £5 and new drive shaft nut £4,tools assembled ready to go..

Any tips/advise would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Maybe a quick check of the seal on the gearchange linkage before you dive in? I fell foul of this with my boy's 1.4 Punto Easy. Oil spot on road, looked underneath, oil around the N/S inner driveshaft joint, Must be the shaft seal? so ordered a new seal only to find it was actually the gearchange rod seal after I'd got it all jacked up on the stands!

Thank you....is the gearchange linkage seal visible,and accesable in situ?...
Yes it is. If you can get the car up on stands, or even better a ramp, have a look right up the back of the gearbox above the drive shaft and you'll see the gear change selector rod - nice and shiny - with the gearchange cables connected sticking out horizontally. It's on the top of the box so quite high up but it's much easier to see if it's leaking from below.

If you go over to the 500 thread Baglady has just done the seal on hers - might help you. Also there's an excellent account in one of the guides as to the whole procedure. I just can't find it just now, maybe someone could post a link for you?

Thank you...again. Tbh not too sure Im looking forward to this one.

If it does turn out to be the shifter seal don't worry too much about it. If you do your own services and can renew brake pads/linings, change a leaky brake cylinder etc then you'll have no bother doing a gear selector seal. Don't drop anything into the top of the box when you've got the top off though will you? A bundle of rag over it whilst it's exposed is good protection from accidental "dropages".

The most difficult bit is driving the roll pin out so if you don't already own a set of punches now's a good time to treat yourself to a good quality set. You do need to take the battery out so you can get rid of the battery tray for access but the car "remembers" the radio code so it all just works fine when reconnected so you don't even need to connect a memory saver! The clutch slave also has to be moved to the side but you don't have to disconnect the hydraulics so just two bolts and no problems there either.

Do keep us updated as to how things go won't you.

PS Baglady bought a punch to do hers so maybe she could tell you what she bought?

Last edited:
I see they didn't.... ie say how it went, then again maybe they've not finished, there's a few that just don't say though.

Sorry chaps..the cars not mine..it belongs to a friend..However the friend came over this aftie for me to take a look at the car.
Up on stands the whole area was covered in oil...looks to be leaking from the gearbox seal and dripping down to the driveshaft where centrifugal force is throwing it everywhere..
I took the battery and tray out to take a clearer look and confirm the initial look.
Its been de-greased ready for when I actually do the job.I can then hopefully get a clearer idea of exactly where its leaking from ..I already have the drive shaft seal and axle nut so will go get the gearbox seal tommorow. My local Fiat delearship could id the roll pin so if anyone has the part number id appreciate it..:D

Back