Technical Gearbox - identifying the correct one

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox - identifying the correct one

RedPeril

My garage has found metal shavings in our 2009 Punto Grande's gearbox so I'm trying to find a used alternative to buying a new unit. To make sure I get the correct one my garage has advised that it must be a part code "C514" version.

Starting out my search I have not found one advertised with this identification. The most common way of identifying the part seems to be cc, KW, HP, or another part number 0016679.

Has anyone else gone through this process and found a reliable way of identifying the part?

Please share any experiences or advice.

What kind of incompetent garage is this? Why YOU are searching for a gearbox (and not them)?
Mechanically most gearboxes (bell housing, not sure about axles and main shaft, number of splines) for FIRE family engines are interchangeable for last 30-40 years.
Differences are mostly in the gear selector mechanism (which can be swapped probably) on the top of the gearbox. And the mounts, maybe.

So, "C514-5" is a 5 speed gearbox for example. Classic one.
Just look for used gearbox advertised as "from or for Grande/EVO 1,4 8V" (or whatever your engine is - you "forgot" to tell us), that's all.
If there are pictures and gear selector looks the same as yours, it's a 99,9% sure match.

PS
Come on, you don't know what "cc" (cubic centimeters, engine displacement), "KW" (kilo watts) or "HP" (horse power) is?

Last edited:
There are about 20 offers on eBay right now. Gearboxes for "Grande", various engines, diesel or petrol 8V or 16V. You don't have to match any more numbers. This is "no brainer" situation really.
Different gear ratios for different models (than Grande) can be ignored here.

PS
Consider upgrading the gearbox from 5 to 6 speed (C514-6) if possible.

Hi Grande Punto PL.

Thanks for your reply, comments, and information.

So, "C514-5" is a 5 speed gearbox for example.

The garage I think spooked me a bit when they said that only a C514 gearbox would fit. I had not come across this coding before. Is a list of these codes available?

What kind of incompetent garage is this? Why YOU are searching for a gearbox (and not them)?
Maybe I'm finding out! Not used them before. They have quoted for the job using a new gearbox at about £730 incl. VAT. (Excl labour and service parts.). As the car is heading toward 13 years old I was not sure that a brand new box was a good investment so I headed for the used market. In the used market, when I searched, no reference to C514 popped up, hence my uncertainty. But you have answered that now thanks..

I suspect that the garage was trying to avoid time on the internet so they just went to the local parts service for a price. The bottom line with them is a new part from them or me providing them with a C514 box for them to fit.

(or whatever your engine is - you "forgot" to tell us),
Didn't forget! I was just trying to illustrate what specifications I had seen in the adverts and the absence of the C514 code. It's a 1.4L (1,368cc), petrol, 8cyl. 77bhp, 57 KW) Punto Grande.

Thanks again.

There are about 20 offers on eBay right now. Gearboxes for "Grande", various engines, diesel or petrol 8V or 16V. You don't have to match any more numbers. This is "no brainer" situation really.
Different gear ratios for different models (than Grande) can be ignored here.

PS
Thanks again. I'll have a look at eBay.

Five-speed confuses my wife enough already!

Back