Technical Clutch / Gearbox Problems

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch / Gearbox Problems

RexNoctis

Hi all,

I have an issue with my wifes 2005 Punto, it would go into gear fine without the engine running, once the engine is running it was very difficult. If I forced the clutch all the way to the floor, it would release with a clunk and then go into gear.

I did some research and as the clutch was nearing the end of its life anyway, a local garage put a new clutch in but they appear to have the same issue, I would have expected a new clutch to have resolved the problem.

The garage are now saying it needs a new gear linkage but they are struggling to get hold of the parts, I've been told to keep an eye out for a stick with the linkages "with the yellow plastic".

I'm a half-decent DIYer but not up to doing the clutch on my front drive, especially in the current weather but to my eye, replacing the cables shouldn't be too difficult.

I could do with a second opinion, time to just get the car back from the garage and try to lay my hands on some new cables?

Cheers,

Danny.

Hi all,

I have an issue with my wifes 2005 Punto, it would go into gear fine without the engine running, once the engine is running it was very difficult. If I forced the clutch all the way to the floor, it would release with a clunk and then go into gear.

I did some research and as the clutch was nearing the end of its life anyway, a local garage put a new clutch in but they appear to have the same issue, I would have expected a new clutch to have resolved the problem.

The garage are now saying it needs a new gear linkage but they are struggling to get hold of the parts, I've been told to keep an eye out for a stick with the linkages "with the yellow plastic".

I'm a half-decent DIYer but not up to doing the clutch on my front drive, especially in the current weather but to my eye, replacing the cables shouldn't be too difficult.

I could do with a second opinion, time to just get the car back from the garage and try to lay my hands on some new cables?

Cheers,

Danny.
Difficult not being there, but if you can select all the gears correctly when engine off to me that sounds like clutch not totally disengaging when engine running, rather than gear cables.
Does the clutch operation when pressing the pedal feel "normal" or loose sloppy, not a firm even pressure all the way down to the floor.
Oil leaking from the gearbox onto the clutch can cause similar issue(grabbing and not totally disengaging), but having had a new clutch???
Is your model an external slave cylinder where you can see if it is extending all the way pushing the release arm or is it a "concentric " slave cylinder with just a hydraulic pipe going to the gearbox, in which case normally it would be replaced along with the new clutch assembly as false economy not to do so.

Cheers, I shall ask the questions, I agree it's difficult not having the car outside to go play with so everything is second-hand information.

I don't know if the gear selection is still smooth with the engine off after the clutch work, I think not knowing that is the main problem. I suppose it's always possible they've been damages during the clutch change.

It's an external slave cylinder, could always see an arm move when the clutch was pressed, only ever moved maybe half-inch or so, again, can't see exactly what it is doing right now.

I'll let you know when I get some answers, thanks again!

Just thought I would update this for posterity before asking about my new issues!

The garage sorted the clutch issue, I never got a good answer out of them on the cause but it's working fine now. They had also managed to break and not replace the bonnet release cable by the time I got the car back so had to replace that.

Just thought I would update this for posterity before asking about my new issues!

The garage sorted the clutch issue, I never got a good answer out of them on the cause but it's working fine now. They had also managed to break and not replace the bonnet release cable by the time I got the car back so had to replace that.
To me the symptoms were a duff clutch or hydraulics if car went into gear with engine off, as you say they are not likely to tell you or admit anything, so as long as you didn't have to put your hand in your pocket again, apart from the broken bonnet cable.
Doesn't sound like you would recommend them to anyone.
Personally I would have never returned a car to a customer that wasn't correct, but then all my business was by word of mouth personal recommendation, no advertising.

Back