Technical Gearbox mount/dog bone won't budge

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox mount/dog bone won't budge

ive never used plus-gas,so icarnt say if its any good or not,

id guess you wouid have to find a decent car shop for them to stock this,

Maplin's used to sell 12v impact guns,ithink they was around 20notes,worth alook,

iuse airline and windy tools,but ihad to resort to brute strength and paitience on mine,as windy gun wouid of snapped bolt for sure.. its too brutal,
but 12v might be the way.. ishouid of tried it, ah well too late now,

it wouid of saved the agro of trying to swing a peice of 5ft scaff bar in narrow pitt, :bang:

Have only heard good reviews, but this bolt is something else, must have been tightened in anger by Fiat!

That's what I'm scared of, pulling too hard and the bolt snapping..should have seen my face when ATS got their air gun on it, all that noise and no movement on the bolt

I will check into maplin in next couple days and see if they still stock them

Riiight! Finally got this sorted today! Got hold of a new mount and bought some loctite freeze and release spray as a sort of last resort, nipped in to garage at quiet time and after 30mins of shocking, spraying, air gunning and worrying it finally budged!

Didnt know one bolt could cause so much bother! The top end of the thread was rusted and the actual dog bone was 100% perished!! Surprisingly the freeze and release actually did help :thumbup:

Slapped on the new one, and it feels like a different car! No more judder or awful noise, much smoother acceleration, feels more responsive, generally nicer to drive again! Happily handed over £10 for the job! :)

what is this mount dog bone which cant be un-done?

gonna remove gearbox tomorrow, is there something i should be prepared for or how long it should take to get it off

It's the rear gearbox mount which connected between the gearbox and the subframe and is shaped a bit like a dog bone.

The bolt goes up from the bottom of the car into the subframe, and the thread of the bolt rusts inside the subframe making it an utter bitch to remove, huge breaker bar needed just to shift the bolt then either a air ratchet or very careful winding it out so as not to shear the bolt

this?

product_image_113_0_15_17_27_35.gif

Back