Technical Gearbox fluid for dummies

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox fluid for dummies

My gearbox warning light has come on. So I'd like to check the transmission fluid, but I have no idea where it goes or where the indicator stick for it is. (I know - I really don't have much of a clue about anything). My Fiat Punto handbook, in the 'Checking Fluid Levels' section (p146) doesn't even depict anything concerning gearbox fluid, for the image corresponding to the 1.2 16V model.
(Oddly, the image for the 1.8 16V model lists 'automatic gearbox' as item No.6 in the key, but there is no No.6 in the image! It's the only model where gearbox oil is even mentioned).
It's a Punto Dynamic 16V Speedgear (Variant: BXB11, Version: 05E, whatever that means).
Can anyone help?
(ps - last time my gearbox warning light came on, it was caused by water getting into a rear light and messing up some wiring. I have a rogue warning light on at the moment for my lights, which seem to be fine, so it could be that again.)

My gearbox warning light has come on. So I'd like to check the transmission fluid, but I have no idea where it goes or where the indicator stick for it is. (I know - I really don't have much of a clue about anything). My Fiat Punto handbook, in the 'Checking Fluid Levels' section (p146) doesn't even depict anything concerning gearbox fluid, for the image corresponding to the 1.2 16V model.
(Oddly, the image for the 1.8 16V model lists 'automatic gearbox' as item No.6 in the key, but there is no No.6 in the image! It's the only model where gearbox oil is even mentioned).
It's a Punto Dynamic 16V Speedgear (Variant: BXB11, Version: 05E, whatever that means).
Can anyone help?
(ps - last time my gearbox warning light came on, it was caused by water getting into a rear light and messing up some wiring. I have a rogue warning light on at the moment for my lights, which seem to be fine, so it could be that again.)
I'm taking it in for a service on Wednesday, but don't want to drive it around meanwhile if the gearbox needs fluid, so am trying to figure that out.

Hi, gearbox filler/dipstick seems to be just underneath the battery.
01.jpg
Speedgear manual is available to download here:

There's a guide to a Speedgear oil change with pictures here, hope it helps:

Also found this old comment from @dave might be relevant considering your history with rear light issues:
"it be electrical faul if light comes on, bad earth on back lights is common, and water in the conector plugs on the box, wd40 gets that out.
also check fluid level"

Last edited:
Hi, gearbox filler/dipstick seems to be just underneath the battery.
View attachment 439007
Speedgear manual is available to download here:

There's a guide to a Speedgear oil change with pictures here, hope it helps:

Also found this old comment from @dave might be relevant considering your history with rear light issues:
"it be electrical faul if light comes on, bad earth on back lights is common, and water in the conector plugs on the box, wd40 gets that out.
also check fluid level"
Thanks so much!

Hope it's nothing serious. Make sure you only use the specified grade of oil if it needs topping up :)
I was surprised to see Speedgear oil changes scheduled every 3 years / 40000km
Thanks, me too! I'm astonished at how difficult it is to a) ascertain and then b) obtain the correct oil. I'm working on that, hoping to get it by Weds when I take the car in for a service, at which point I hope to have a 4L can of the right stuff, so they can do a transmission oil change.
Obviously I also hope it doesn't turn out to be something else, given the oil is probably going to cost me about £80
Meanwhile, I won't be driving the car. Thanks to you, I was able to find the dipstick. The oil is low (though it didn't look catastrophically so) and dark brown - but also, I've started to hear a click in the gearbox when I touch the brake. I hope this does not presage doom. :-/

Sounds like it's due a transmission oil change. And I guess you're taking it to the garage rather than change it yourself?

If the level is a bit low, I would add a little oil to bring it up to level before driving to the garage if possible.

It's not cheap, but Shop4Parts have Tutela CVT NG here @ £17/litre:
There's a 10% discount code for S4P if you make a donation to Fiat Forum. Free UK delivery I think is £50

I couldn't find Tutela CVT NG on www.opieoils.co.uk but they stock a range of CVT oils and may be able to advise if you give them a call, I've had good service from Opie in the past.

Back