Technical Gearbox Info

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Info

Hi guys,

I have got a small leak from my gearbox/diff on my 2004 1.6, but its not big enough to warrant pulling the gearbox off and having a look. I may wait until its new clutch time as I suspect the gearbox will have to come off then?

Anyway, I’ve been searching but can’t get a definitive answer…

Does the 1.6 gearbox have a dipstick? If so where is it?

If not, how do I check the gearbox oil level? I can’t seem to find any fill hole on it anywhere?

I’d like to check the level and top up if necessary until I have a chance to pull the gearbox off. What oil should I use to top up?

Pictures would be good!

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
Matt :)

Where's the leak? If it's just coming out the driveshaft seal then you can replace that without removing the box. Sometimes the seal cures itself as it wears smoother, had that a few times

Filler hole doubles up as oil level check. When oil pours out, then that's enough

Where's the leak? If it's just coming out the driveshaft seal then you can replace that without removing the box. Sometimes the seal cures itself as it wears smoother, had that a few times

Filler hole doubles up as oil level check. When oil pours out, then that's enough

I'm pretty sure its not the driveshaft seals. but i need to have a closer look this weekend.

So the box doesnt have a dipstick, just a filler hole? Can anyone point me in the right direction to where abouts it is on the box?

Anyone got ay recommendation to what oil to use to top it up?

Cheers :)

on the front of the box (radiator side) there is a large allum key hole, its the same size as the sump plug (A1 auto spares carry them). You are best off asking in A1 as they have all the details of the car and i cant remember the oil i used. But as deckchair said it will probo seal its self, my gearbox had to come off when it failed and it leaked slightly for about 500miles then sealed (i think wetting is the name for this). There is defo no dipstick, i dont ever recall ever seeing a dipstick on a manual gearbox in all my years of motoring.
If you find its losing a lot of oil (and its not from the drive shafts) then you could nip up the bolts at the bottom of the box, there is no gasket on the box just a rubber sealing compound, but just put a little bit of a turn this maybe enough, the box is 100% ally so be careful not to over tighten
roy

Last edited:
Dont know if its relevant, but i do have a dipstick on my abarth gearbox, i checked it, and its at max, looks clean, and is very very smelly.

Although it is a selespeed, it is a manual gearbox, with an automatic clutch, i came across the dipstick last week whilst changing my crank sensor

on the front of the box (radiator side) there is a large allum key hole, its the same size as the sump plug (A1 auto spares carry them). You are best off asking in A1 as they have all the details of the car and i cant remember the oil i used. But as deckchair said it will probo seal its self, my gearbox had to come off when it failed and it leaked slightly for about 500miles then sealed (i think wetting is the name for this). There is defo no dipstick, i dont ever recall ever seeing a dipstick on a manual gearbox in all my years of motoring.
If you find its losing a lot of oil (and its not from the drive shafts) then you could nip up the bolts at the bottom of the box, there is no gasket on the box just a rubber sealing compound, but just put a little bit of a turn this maybe enough, the box is 100% ally so be careful not to over tighten
roy

Thanks Roy. I take it the filler/drain plug is the same thing, and its on the side on the box somewhere? Do I just fill it untill it pours out?

Anyone else got the spec for the oil i should be using?

Cheers :)

To get the correct level of oil in the gearbox the car must be on a level surface or you will be under or over full the allen key size for the plug is 14mm..
With regards to the oil fiat recommend a synthetic base oil sae 75w-80ep I use the fiat one which is Tutela ZC 75 synth and you can get that from your dealer (y)

I take it the filler/drain plug is the same thing, and its on the side on the box somewhere? Do I just fill it untill it pours out?

Anyone else got the spec for the oil i should be using?
Drain plug will be at bottom.

Filler/Level plug is at side (not that high up) and you'll most likely need a syringe like pump to get the oil in. Wait for it to level afterwards and try to do the job on level ground.

Only use the best recommended oil.

OK, thanks guys.

I think I may as well change it while I’m there, as no doubt it’s never been changed in the 42,000 miles the car has clocked up, and the gearbox is starting to get a bit rough when changing. Anyone know how much oil the gearbox holds, as I’ll go get some oil for it this afternoon.

My workshop CD is not working :( Can anyone put up a picture of the drain/filler holes?

I take it that I can fill the gearbox from the top of the engine, i.e. I dont have to fill it lying on my back looking up at it and getting oil all over me?!

Cheers

Right, I spent about an hour looking for the drain hole and filler hole this weekend! I can’t find them at all!! :bang: :bang:

I take it I should be able to see the filer hole from looking down at the engine, and the drain hole from looking up from the underneath the car?

Anyone got any pics etc to have a look at? I've got some lovely new oil here to put in!

:)

Are you looking in the right area?

Both plugs are normally on the diff rather than the gearbox and I suspect you'll need to do everything from under the car. (must confess I haven't looked on mine yet)

Cant miss it on 1.6 even I found it with sight only in one eye :rolleyes: you need a 14mm alen key for it same as sump plug (y)

If its still leaking from the diff, i dont know if the seals are similar to that on a F3 gearbox, but theres a spring that goes round the seal, if you trim it, re-wind it back so its a circle again and slip it back in - helps for a bit at least!!!

Back