General gearbox help

Currently reading:
General gearbox help

tonyndsam

gearbox plz help

hi some times i i have to fight to get it in to firstgear can anyone tell me y dat cod be n wat i can do about it :confused:

Last edited:
Select 2nd then push it through to first. It could be a sign the clutch is failing. Fiat clutches fail to release properly before they start to slip.

im having the same problems on my mk2. feels a little lumpy getting it into 1st as well, but other gears are easier to slip into. what sort of costs would i be looking at cos money is very tight at the mo and have a few other things that need looking at on my baby. (em light and a slightly erratic idol)

I had/have the same issue on my mk1. 1st & reverse gears, i've had the issue for a year or so. i was told getting new gear oil 80w90 would help. I bought the stuff but havent used it yet:p. I find the issue is mainly when cold but it still happens when warm or hot every so often.

My clutch has been questioned for other issues as well - "engine revving high" (another thread)

So long as it doesn't get noticable worse just let it spin out of gear then try again - seems to work for me(y)

Except the synchro is taking a pasting every time you force the gears.. Slippy clutch often means the gearbox shaft seal is leaking.

Back