General Gearbox/Clutch noise on new 500

Currently reading:
General Gearbox/Clutch noise on new 500

Interesting that the dealer doesn't know:eek:
Anyway, if there is a fix then why aren't they fixing them all as they come in?

I wonder; does the new 95hp Multijet2 have a dual masser, or not?

I think it would need all 500 diesel owners who are unhappy with their clutches to take a stand. But apart from this forum how would they all speak as one? There must be hundreds of owners out there who are not on forums who think it just themselves who has the problem.

Or better still, for the motoring press to get hold of it - would make an interesting story I would have thought.

Thing is, all cars have problems. I could tell you about Renault Megane springs and auto-handbrakes. VW water leaks and brake problems. Citroen doors not shutting and dashboards going out. And don't talk about Mercedes. No, they all have problems. These faults are from people I know well. A friend who worked at a VW dealership saw dozens of very angry customers, but the perceived wisdom is that VWs are totally reliable :D

The press would need a serious safety issue to get interested.

Thing is, all cars have problems. I could tell you about Renault Megane springs and auto-handbrakes. VW water leaks and brake problems. Citroen doors not shutting and dashboards going out. And don't talk about Mercedes. No, they all have problems. These faults are from people I know well. A friend who worked at a VW dealership saw dozens of very angry customers, but the perceived wisdom is that VWs are totally reliable :D

The press would need a serious safety issue to get interested.

Ah well - it was just a thought - looks like they've all got to just put up with their noisy clutches. Selfish I know but I'm glad I got mine resolved at the outset. But...... to be honest, if mine hadn't been sorted I would have been pursuing the matter with a vengance. It was totally unpleasant to drive.

Ah well - it was just a thought - looks like they've all got to just put up with their noisy clutches. Selfish I know but I'm glad I got mine resolved at the outset. But...... to be honest, if mine hadn't been sorted I would have been pursuing the matter with a vengance. It was totally unpleasant to drive.
Personally if I was looking for comfort as you are, I'd just swap over the springs from the KA or the springs and dampers. The standard springs and dampers on the pre-arb hatchback are so comically mismatched that you couldn't do much worse tbh.

Isn't that par for the course a diseasel?

Wouldn't drive anything other than a modern diesel by choice - hate those wizzy little sewing machine motors that run on petrol. All top end and no grunt and sod having to change from 5th to 4th on the motorway just because it's got a wee bit hilly :D

(wait for it!!)

QUOTE = John Walker

Personally if I was looking for comfort as you are, I'd just swap over the springs from the KA or the springs and dampers. The standard springs and dampers on the pre-arb hatchback are so comically mismatched that you couldn't do much worse tbh.

Hi Maxi

Sorry - I was talking about the clutch problem not the suspension.

Cheers

John

After a year of phoning Fiat up evey month and getting new case numbers things are apparently finally happening. Last week I was told to get my garage to open a technical query with Fiat. (This had already been done when the car was new 12 months ago.) This they did and when I spoke to the service manager today I was told that the parts to modify the clutch operation were on their way and the car would be called in once the parts arrived. Will keep you informed of progress.

After a year of phoning Fiat up evey month and getting new case numbers things are apparently finally happening. Last week I was told to get my garage to open a technical query with Fiat. (This had already been done when the car was new 12 months ago.) This they did and when I spoke to the service manager today I was told that the parts to modify the clutch operation were on their way and the car would be called in once the parts arrived. Will keep you informed of progress.

Please do keep us updated as I am still not able to get any definitive answers from my dealer at the moment. If you don't mind I will PM you and the other two people I know who have had this done already and get the names of your dealerships so that I can ask Fiat CS to liase with them as to how they received the go ahead. As far as I know both the previous modifications were carried out after the intervention of the Fiat roving troubleshooter.

The garage phoned me up yesterday to say the parts had arrived (from India!) and the car is booked in for next Friday. They said that they have modified one car already.
Will keep you informed of results.
Tim

Is this the longest running active thread on the forum?

I started it on the 10th of September 2008!

It seems to have taken Fiat since then to acknowledge this specific problem and actually start to fit parts under warantee.

I'm pleased to see some of you are now being looked after by your dealers.

Keep us updated and if anyone can actually identify the part they are fitting it would be interesting.

Is this the longest running active thread on the forum?

I started it on the 10th of September 2008!

It seems to have taken Fiat since then to acknowledge this specific problem and actually start to fit parts under warantee.

I'm pleased to see some of you are now being looked after by your dealers.

Keep us updated and if anyone can actually identify the part they are fitting it would be interesting.

Also, if any of you are able to quote the case reference number that was given to you by Fiat it would would be really useful. (y)

STD10002L.jpg

Car went in this morning. Picked it up 12.30 - clutch problem/ noise solved at long last. Like a different car to drive.
They showed me the old clutch pipe and said that the coiled portion had been replaced by what the girl described as a' wheel'. The above image I found on the net is of a clutch damper. This I presume is the 'wheel'. When I asked them if the part was specifically for a 500 the replied that it was.

I found these bit's of info on the web;

'A manual transmission's clutch damper reduces the torque and vibration effect caused by engaging the clutch, on the rest of the engine system.'
'The clutch damper cushions the severity of the clutch / transmission engagement to minimise the stresses to the drive train.'
'The damper causes the liquid in the system to run/flow slower than usual.'

I found these bit's of info on the web;

'A manual transmission's clutch damper reduces the torque and vibration effect caused by engaging the clutch, on the rest of the engine system.'
'The clutch damper cushions the severity of the clutch / transmission engagement to minimise the stresses to the drive train.'
'The damper causes the liquid in the system to run/flow slower than usual.'

Thanks for that - very interesting. Not sure where it actually fits in the system though - clutch hydraulic line?

Back