General Gearbox/Clutch noise on new 500

Currently reading:
General Gearbox/Clutch noise on new 500

Pun intended? :D

Whenever I hear of any Dealer staff that are unaware of issues which clearly have an official 'fix' it always annoys me, as the Service Bulletins are there for any staff member to read. It's just laziness (though to be fair, I wouldn't expect reception staff to know the info).

Still as witty as ever, I would have thought that the Japs would have knocked that out of you by now. (y)

Still as witty as ever, I would have thought that the Japs would have knocked that out of you by now. (y)

LOL, I may have moved on from Fiats, but after 10 years they'll forever have a place in my heart. (y)

Only wish the Owners and Directors of the Dealerships had half the enthusiasm for the brand that some Tech's do. Speaking to my former workmates and hearing how they're being ground-down by poor decisions and pay, it seems I won't be the last one they'll lose.

Unfortunately it'll be too late before they realise what they're losing. :(

Just dropped off my car at the local dealer (welling). One of the technicians come out to hear the noise and agreed it was the clutch. He wants to fit an entire new clutch assembly which includes the release bearing.

They said they had not heard of this issue until now. I'm wondering if they have but don't want to say.

Anyway, i'll keep you all informed when they call me back. Probably Monday now.

Just dropped off my car at the local dealer (welling). One of the technicians come out to hear the noise and agreed it was the clutch. He wants to fit an entire new clutch assembly which includes the release bearing.

They said they had not heard of this issue until now. I'm wondering if they have but don't want to say.

Anyway, i'll keep you all informed when they call me back. Probably Monday now.
You have to remember that Grimwau had a 1.3 diesel and you have a 1.4 petrol. Different cars and quite likely different parts in the clutch assembly.

The 1.2 petrol has a hydraulic clutch and no one complains of this noise and you seem to be the first person to complain of it on a 1.4. Lets not go accusing technicians of lying to you when you seem to be the first on here to have the problem.

I didn't accuse a tech of lying. He had not heard of this issue on any of their cars. Also the tech said the parts are not the same but very similar.

I discovered the noise before reading the thread so i'm not one of these people who thinks they have the problem when they don't.

Just to add...the curtesy car is a 1.3 MJ Panda ad that has the same sound but a bit quieter.

Thank you for your support.

So... My local dealer called me today to say they have fit a new clutch. I told them about this thread and that a new clutch didn't help some people.

Picked it up. Noise even worse. Took it back 5 mins later.

A salesman drove the car and agreed the nose is there and said his 1.4 sport is silent.

I said could it be the clutch cylinder? They said its hydraulic, it doesn't have one....

If its hydraulic it must have a master cylinder and slave cylinder. Even i know that much from.

Today my local dealer phoned me saying they want to replace the gearbox.

I asked them for a time scale for this to be done and if it will fix the noise issue. They are going to let me know later today.

I'm loosing faith in Fiat. If it is not fixed by thursday i will ask for a replacement car or my money back.

lol,

They just called back saying it should be in on friday. I told then about the hydraulic damper but they still want to go ahead with the gearbox.

Today my local dealer phoned me saying they want to replace the gearbox.

I asked them for a time scale for this to be done and if it will fix the noise issue. They are going to let me know later today.

I'm loosing faith in Fiat. If it is not fixed by thursday i will ask for a replacement car or my money back.

You can ask, you won't get.

lol,

They just called back saying it should be in on friday. I told then about the hydraulic damper but they still want to go ahead with the gearbox.

Did you tell them that the hydraulic damper was fitted to the 1.3 multijet? :rolleyes: This is certainly a case of a little knowledge being dangerous.....

I asked them to have a read of the forum to see if they get any ideas on fixing the issue.

Been doing some more research and asking experienced mechanics. The noise i have is definately coming from the release bearing. The noise is still there after a new release bearing has been installed so i'm told it could be the clutch release fork not pushing the bearing squarly.

I'll call my local dealer to see what they think.

I might be completely wrong but at the moment im desperate to get the car fixed.

Last edited:
So now ive had a new clutch and new gearbox but they told me there is a new noise and they dont know where it is coming from.

The car has only done 192 miles. What do you all think i should do?

So now ive had a new clutch and new gearbox but they told me there is a new noise and they dont know where it is coming from.

The car has only done 192 miles. What do you all think i should do?
Just be patient, it'll get sorted out. You are most likely to experience issues with a car during the first few hundred miles. Once it's sorted it'll be fine don't worry.

They also said one of their new Pandas makes the noise and they don't know how to fix it. It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I can see myself having to wait for a replacement car.

Just be patient, it'll get sorted out. You are most likely to experience issues with a car during the first few hundred miles. Once it's sorted it'll be fine don't worry.

A different view: you have a new car which has had to have major work donw and the problems remains and there is evidence that they don't know how to resolve it. I would suggest rejecting the car.

I'm off to the dealer soon to talk to their sales manager to see what he suggests.

The only thing i'm worried about is having to wait until the end of March for a replacement. To me thats ridiculous.

Another option i'm considering is looking at a different car altogether, maybe a Punto.

A different view: you have a new car which has had to have major work donw and the problems remains and there is evidence that they don't know how to resolve it. I would suggest rejecting the car.

Baring in mind Greyskull would still have a minimum 6 weeks to wait for his car if he had rejected his, but has been back in his car for over a week and having no problems so he hasn't even signed back in for 5 days.

Baring in mind Greyskull would still have a minimum 6 weeks to wait for his car if he had rejected his, but has been back in his car for over a week and having no problems so he hasn't even signed back in for 5 days.

But the difference with Greyskull was that it was fixed, albeit second time around.

This problem is still unresolved and the dealer is head-scratching.

Back