General Gearbox/Clutch noise on new 500

Currently reading:
General Gearbox/Clutch noise on new 500

The cars been there 8 days now and they wont give it back until they fix it.

They are head scratching now, so i don't think they will be able to fix it.

Well when they are done fixing it maybe send them to the Gaza strip, get them to fix the Middle East crisis too since they are infallible...

Not sure if you're aware, but cars are made out of things call "components", if the component which is "faulty" is replaced then the fault will disappear.

Not sure if you're aware, but cars are made out of things call "components", if the component which is "faulty" is replaced then the fault will disappear.

In theory I suppose that's factually correct. However, the fault will only disappear when:

1. The faulty component(s) is/are correctly identified as being the cause of the problem

2. A source for a replacement component known not to be faulty is found, and the component is procured

3. The faulty component is removed and replaced with the non-faulty one, without causing additional collateral damage

4. Any initialisation procedures are followed, including refilling fluids drained and reconfiguring computer software.

Surely the real question is whether all of the above steps can be completed by the dealer within a reasonable timeframe and without causing unacceptable inconvenience to the customer, bearing in mind the reasonable expectations of a customer having shelled out his/her hard earned cash on a new car?

IMO that, my friends, is in this case far less certain. They're not even past step 1 yet:bang:.

Maxi, for a cynic you sure have a lot of faith in dealers. Have you never come across a car with a persistent fault that took a huge amount of time and effort to repair, or one that was never resolved?

Maxi, for a cynic you sure have a lot of faith in dealers. Have you never come across a car with a persistent fault that took a huge amount of time and effort to repair, or one that was never resolved?

It's a newish car FFS where the owner has a chance of rejecting the car. What are Fiat going to do? Send it to be crushed and lose a few thousand on the car? No, they'll fix it. Putting my thinking cap on I'd get the dealer to talk to Fiat and get one of the Fiat technicians sent out to have a look at it. Everything that is made out of parts and assemblies can be fixed........

It's a newish car FFS where the owner has a chance of rejecting the car. What are Fiat going to do? Send it to be crushed and lose a few thousand on the car? No, they'll fix it. Putting my thinking cap on I'd get the dealer to talk to Fiat and get one of the Fiat technicians sent out to have a look at it. Everything that is made out of parts and assemblies can be fixed........

The dealer is phoning me tomorrow to tell me when a Fiat Tech is going to come and look at it. At this stage i'd much rather them fix it so i can have it back. If they say they cant and a new one will be with me in 16 weeks (or 3.5 months) i'll be looking at Punto evos instead.

Fiat technician due to look at the car this friday. So another week of waiting.

I just hope he can identify what need replacing/adjusting.

Just had a call from my dealer. The Fiat technician has fit the modified damper and they are road testing it now.

I'll know in a few hours if its fixed.

Iv'e been without the car now for 2 weeks so fingers crossed. :)

Picked the car up 2 hours ago and the problems solved!

All vibration noise gone. The car feels so much smoother. The damper did the job.

Thanks to Ancaster Welling for getting this issue resolved.

well I owe you an apology for being an arse don't I?

To be honest though, in all the time we have talked about this problem never once has it happened on any of the petrol engines. Therefore it was easy to be sceptical, and you, in your own inimitable style actually said what some of us might have been thinking.

One thing though, you always come clean if you do make a mistake. (y)

lol, dont worry about it.

Nice comeback. (y)

Finally got our 500 to the garage to have the damper part fitted after taking a printout of this thread for evidence. It turned out I didn't need it as just as I was trying describe the issue to the service desk receptionist, and complaining about being fobbed off twice before, a mechanic happened to overhear the conversation and immediately recognised the problem as he had previously dealt with this once before at another branch.

The first attempt to fit the new part was aborted it arrived damaged (not complaining as these things do happen) and the replacement was received on Thursday and fitted yesterday (Friday) which I was quite impressed with as I usually have to wait a few days for non-urgent repairs. The good news is the fix has worked and I now have a quiet gear change at last.

Anyone with the same problem should insist on the fix. I was originally fobbed off twice by mechanics obviously not knowing what they are talking about! Get yourself a printout of this thread and take it along to the garage to add weight to your argument. You could probably also quote T.J. Vickers in Telford as that is the garage that fixed the problem for us.

Last edited:
Just for the record, although this might appear as a random post, 11 months after the last reply in this thread the question was in fact asked recently in another section on the forum.

heraldsteve was pointed to this thread after being told by a Fiat dealership that it was a wastegate/dump valve noise and completely normal. Ahhhh

Thanks for posting that it is now sorted. (y)

Back