Technical Gear selector pin

Currently reading:
Technical Gear selector pin

Shabba09

My gears are very stiff and the gearstick no longer springs to the middle. I belive this is caused by the selector pin. Do I just have to remove the bolt arrowed in the picture and withdraw the pin after removing the selector cable? Is it is easy to remove after undoing the bolt? Tia.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529_174520.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529_174520.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 290
I had to do mine recently, there are a couple of plastic bushes in there, mine needed a fair amount of persuasion to get out, using a hammer and dolly on the loosened nut until it came out. Put it back together with lots of waterproof white grease. If it will come out fairly easily you might not have to take the battery and tray out of the way. It's reachable.
I think my cables are stretched as it's not engaging the gears perfectly, a previous owner let it get so bad the cables were popping out of the gear level end, they drill the box and cable tied the selector cables in as a fix.

I had to do mine recently, there are a couple of plastic bushes in there, mine needed a fair amount of persuasion to get out, using a hammer and dolly on the loosened nut until it came out. Put it back together with lots of waterproof white grease. If it will come out fairly easily you might not have to take the battery and tray out of the way. It's reachable.
I think my cables are stretched as it's not engaging the gears perfectly, a previous owner let it get so bad the cables were popping out of the gear level end, they drill the box and cable tied the selector cables in as a fix.
I had a quick go at it yesterday, the nut came loose but the pin just wouldn't slide out. Soaked it in Wd40 so will give it another go tomorrow.

I had a quick go at it yesterday, the nut came loose but the pin just wouldn't slide out. Soaked it in Wd40 so will give it another go tomorrow.
Yeah, there will be quite a lot of rust in there, I loosened the nut but leave on to protect thread, then a hammer and a bar to give it a few taps, it took a while to get going.
You don't really need a new part, cleaning up the old part with a wire brush brings it back to life. I used a bottle cleaning brush and lots of penetrating oil in the bore attached to the gearbox to remove as much crud as possible. Reassemble with plenty of waterproof white grease.

Yeah, there will be quite a lot of rust in there, I loosened the nut but leave on to protect thread, then a hammer and a bar to give it a few taps, it took a while to get going.
You don't really need a new part, cleaning up the old part with a wire brush brings it back to life. I used a bottle cleaning brush and lots of penetrating oil in the bore attached to the gearbox to remove as much crud as possible. Reassemble with plenty of waterproof white grease.
Great, thanks for the advise

Back