Technical Gear selector jammed ...again

Currently reading:
Technical Gear selector jammed ...again

gordinir8

Established member
Gear selector lever jammed and stack at reverse speed after I select reverse and this happened twice:bang::bang: The shifter couldn’t move to any other position and that's because the gear selector inside the gearbox jammed between the gearbox 1-2 and 3-4 striker rods. I removed the gearbox back housing and repositioned the lever and everything is ok. The only explanation I can give is because the selector lever has a play inside it’s housing and I guess it misses its position between the selectors. I removed the housing from my old gearbox and it certainly has a smaller play (but it has) Million dollar question is shall I put the housing from my old gearbox or buy a new housing with possibly zero play? Old gearbox never had the same problem. Or perhaps something else worse is happening.

First time this happened my car was on a mechanics shop and he told my that he will fix it for me. I couldn’t do anything so I let the ‘’expert’’ fix it. Unfortunately two weeks later happened again inside my garage this time so don’t blame me why I didn’t fix the problem in first place and I just reposition the shifter.

Thomas

[ame]https://youtu.be/AjdUfEEOf0E[/ame]

Gear selector lever jammed and stack at reverse speed after I select reverse and this happened twice:bang::bang: The shifter couldn’t move to any other position and that's because the gear selector inside the gearbox jammed between the gearbox 1-2 and 3-4 striker rods. I removed the gearbox back housing and repositioned the lever and everything is ok. The only explanation I can give is because the selector lever has a play inside it’s housing and I guess it misses its position between the selectors. I removed the housing from my old gearbox and it certainly has a smaller play (but it has) Million dollar question is shall I put the housing from my old gearbox or buy a new housing with possibly zero play? Old gearbox never had the same problem. Or perhaps something else worse is happening.

First time this happened my car was on a mechanics shop and he told my that he will fix it for me. I couldn’t do anything so I let the ‘’expert’’ fix it. Unfortunately two weeks later happened again inside my garage this time so don’t blame me why I didn’t fix the problem in first place and I just reposition the shifter.

Thomas

https://youtu.be/AjdUfEEOf0E

Thomas, I would check for wear on all of the gear selection mechanism - from the gear stick and back into the gearbox, but you may be able to adjust some of the play out of the selector at the gearstick adjusters?

Ian.

That does seem excessive play!
I don't think I have seen one with as much play as that.
They did make a few changes over the years in regards to oil seals/O rings being fitted. Have you got the correct arm for the housing?
It might be good to find a spare gearbox and use the selector shaft and housing to see if that makes any difference.

I just put the one from my 500 gearbox which has less play. Next time I will go for a new case. Also checked the rod passing through the tunnel and found it ok as Ian suggested me.

Thomas, I am sure I remember you having a lathe etc. Could you not make a very slim bush for that, which required minimal boring out of the casing?

Funny you should say that , I recently bought a whole load of new & used Fiat 126 parts from a Polish guy. A complete mix but I noticed one item as I sorted the bits. A gearbox tail casting that has been fitted with a long bronze bush. Last year I decided to do something about another gearbox that I bought a few years ago, also from a Polish guy. The gearbox was almost entirely in bits when I got it so did a complete rebuild. When I got to the gear selector & tailpiece casting it was probably worse than the one shown above and I scrapped them. There is a rubber boot on the 126 to cover the selector shaft etc.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
Thomas, I am sure I remember you having a lathe etc. Could you not make a very slim bush for that, which required minimal boring out of the casing?
You remember correct Peter but my lathe is very small, ofcourse i can take it to the guys at work and make a bush for me, with the use of loctite it will be better than original, selector is also worn but they can take it down a couple of tenths. Nice idea, i will do it in first opportunity and have it as spare and change it when i got time and run out of problems:D Now i have a new problem with my distributor but i am on it. One problem after the other but i hope i will solve them one by one.(y)

:bang::bang::bang: Ok it happened again, although the case from my old gearbox had much less play and reverse gear selection was smoother it just happened again after a month of everyday use and selector jammed. When this happens i can only select between reverse and neutral. Since i don't have much time now to modify it with bushings etc i will go for a new gearbox end cover the one with updated seal. I am starting to loose my patience with it:mad::mad:

Thomas

Update, got a brand new gearbox aft cover, now my shaft has zero play so proudly i put everything back and test it. Unfortunately problem remains, so i focused in other places and after a lot of investigation i managed to find that my gearbox can select simultaneously first and reverse gear:bang::bang: Or any two sets of gears! I managed to understand what is happening inside the gearbox and i think i know how to fix it. There is a very small pin in the 3rd-4th shaft selector that prevents this and i am pretty sure it was missing from mine, actually i thought the hole that this small pin goes is for lubrication. So i will have to remove the gearbox and repair it.

FYI problem solved, small pin was installed and everything works fine now. That was a real hard case for me.

Hi Thomas,
I'm glad you fixed it. Those little odd shaped pieces are a little tricky and are usually the cause of gear selection problems as are the 3 spring loaded ball bearings on the side of the box.
Hopefully everything is ok now

Back