Technical Gear lever replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Gear lever replacement

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
Ok, I'm on a maintenance roll so I thought I would take the gear lever of to either straighten it or replace it. Also, at the same time, add a sideways return spring which mine has never had in my ownership (2 years).

Per the guide, I put it in reverse, undid the rear linkage, took off the plastic tray and the gaiter, and removed the bolts on the side of the tunnel. Now I'm trying to pull the mechanism through the front but there doesn't seem to be enough room to lift it out... Is there a trick to this?

(Also need to replace the rear rubber bellows seal, whichhas split to buggery!)

Attachments

• 20230808_135835.jpg
    20230808_135835.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 111
  • 20230808_140306.jpg
    20230808_140306.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
... or have I got to remove this bolt... Don't think the guide mentioned that and it looks like it would be asking for trouble, as in 'lose the bolt down the tunnel' type of trouble

Attachments

• 20230808_141521.jpg
    20230808_141521.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
There's supposed to be a sideways return spring? Mine gives no indication that you're heading in the right direction or that you're in gear. It's all done on trust / hope. I look forward to your success so that I can copy you one day.

There's supposed to be a sideways return spring? Mine gives no indication that you're heading in the right direction or that you're in gear. It's all done on trust / hope. I look forward to your success so that I can copy you one day.
According to the workshop manual, yes

Attachments

• 20230808_142649.jpg
    20230808_142649.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Yes, when properly set up, the stick should self-centre quite effectively.

@smart51 Certainly there is no provision for a spring on my 500F gear stick, the tab for the spring shown in the picture of the manual is not on my stick, as you can see in the attached photo. It's possibly an 500L only thing? A centring spring is a luxury after all...

@Noah500 if you remove the carpet, and the ducting for the air vents, then you can slide the whole stick and mounting bracket assembly forward through the tunnel and extract it that way.

If you undo the bolt you highlighted then the selector shaft will break into two pieces, as you can see in my attached picture, but I still dont know if that will help you get the assembly out without removing the carpet and tin wear to bring it forward.

Attachments

• IMG_9869.jpeg
    IMG_9869.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 47
Finally got it out after 4 hours... and some cutting of the tunnel top :( The guide didn't say anything about carpets or air ducting...

Mine also has no tabs for the spring, so I'll leave it. I straightened up the stick a bit in the vice but after several goes, rolling it on the granite kitchen worktop shows that it's still bent, so I'll get a new one. Once I get that and a new rear seal, I'll reassemble it all.

Last edited:
Back