Technical Handbrake cable replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake cable replacement

Boobtube

I am staring at the handbrake set up and I cannot figure out how one replaces the cable assembly. The cable extends into the tunnel and around the pulley but the cable parts that are on the other portion under the car are too large to fit through the holes that the cable emerges from to take it out (or put the new one in). What is the secret?

I am staring at the handbrake set up and I cannot figure out how one replaces the cable assembly. The cable extends into the tunnel and around the pulley but the cable parts that are on the other portion under the car are too large to fit through the holes that the cable emerges from to take it out (or put the new one in). What is the secret?
Do you mean the holes on the swinging arms? If I'm remembering corectly, they should have a slit to allow the cable through.

Do you mean the holes on the swinging arms? If I'm remembering corectly, they should have a slit to allow the cable through.
No, I mean where there cable passes through the car body to the interior tunnel. It can't physically fit through the two holes.

No, I mean where there cable passes through the car body to the interior tunnel. It can't physically fit through the two holes.

I'll try to find an image.I think that the same thing applies.......you put the bare cable loop in from under the car and the parts never enter the interior. Again, I vaguely remember there being a slot to allow this.

Here's a poor quality, enlarged image that shows part of the narrow slot for the cable to pass into the car.

brake cable slot.JPG

Thanks! I went back and looked again and saw that the rubber grommets for the neighboring holes were hiding the slits for the cable to slide through.

Back