Technical Thermostat flap replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Thermostat flap replacement

Dorisinblue

The thermostat flap mechanism on my 500F collapsed so I have bought a new replacement/repair kit.
I am now struggling to understand how the spring on the rod is tensioned, I think it should keep the flap closed when cold and the
Thermostat opens against the tension when hot but can’t seem to get the spring positioned to achieve this.
Any advice or a photo would be appreciated

Have you got the remains of the original flap to compare as there are two different styles for the 500 and the 126.

The thermostat flap mechanism on my 500F collapsed so I have bought a new replacement/repair kit.
I am now struggling to understand how the spring on the rod is tensioned, I think it should keep the flap closed when cold and the
Thermostat opens against the tension when hot but can’t seem to get the spring positioned to achieve this.
Any advice or a photo would be appreciated
The thermostat internals were missing from my car so I also bought a kit. It is a puzzle as there seems to be two configurations of the mechanism and the (AutoBella) kit has parts for both but I eventually worked it out. I hope the pictures help.

Attachments

• Thermostat1opt.jpg
    Thermostat1opt.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Thermostat2opt.jpg
    Thermostat2opt.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 26
Here’s a pic if it helps.
The spring has a slight force on keeping it closed. The stat overrides that when hot…..or at least it should🤔

Attachments

• IMG_4257.jpeg
    IMG_4257.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Thanks all. Yes I have the correct replacement flap, it’s just the spring which appears to be wound the wrong way. It’s interesting to see how Graham has assembled the mechanism with the spring inside the air box. My thoughts were it was originally outside on the rod - the straight part of spring sits in a small recess on the air box and the angled part fits into the triangle of metal which fits as a cam on the rod . All held in place by a nut. This should keep the flap shut when cold.
Anyway, I’ve now found another spring lurking in my-bits and bobs box and it seems to do the job so I’ll refit the air box and see how it goes!
Thanks for your photos- a great help!

Thanks all. Yes I have the correct replacement flap, it’s just the spring which appears to be wound the wrong way. It’s interesting to see how Graham has assembled the mechanism with the spring inside the air box. My thoughts were it was originally outside on the rod - the straight part of spring sits in a small recess on the air box and the angled part fits into the triangle of metal which fits as a cam on the rod . All held in place by a nut. This should keep the flap shut when cold.
Anyway, I’ve now found another spring lurking in my-bits and bobs box and it seems to do the job so I’ll refit the air box and see how it goes!
Thanks for your photos- a great help!
My car is the 500R which has the spring inside the air box; I believe the earlier cars had an external spring. In my kit of parts there were also some items that would suit an external spring and it was a confusing until I realised there were two different configurations. A top tip is to search on Ebay as often sellers have good pictures which can help to identify what and where things go. It was an Ebay listing that showed me how to assemble the thermostat device.

Back