Technical Gear box oil filler plug is frozen

Currently reading:
Technical Gear box oil filler plug is frozen

Boobtube

I just want to be sure that the gear box oil square filler plug is a normal thread, not left hand. Mine is frozen. I tried to remove with a 1/2" square pipe socket but it's beginning to distort the plug. The guy who owned this car before must have really cranked it down hard. Could someone confirm, please, that it is a normal right hand thread. Thanks.

Pack the case (and especially the plug) in ice for an extended time, to cool the steel plug.

Then rapidly heat the case around the plug, but not the plug, using a heat gun.

Immediately after heating the case again attempt to unscrew the plug.

Yes, turn anticlockwise. I used a 1/2" socket extension over mine, which was a tight fit. Mine took an awful lot of force to remove the first time. The next time I did it, it took a normal amount of force. If the plug is starting to deform, it might be worth getting a replacement lined up.

Yes, turn anticlockwise. I used a 1/2" socket extension over mine, which was a tight fit. Mine took an awful lot of force to remove the first time. The next time I did it, it took a normal amount of force. If the plug is starting to deform, it might be worth getting a replacement lined up.
Yes, I planned on replacing it once I get it out. The previous owner had already deformed it and should have replaced it but I wish he didn't feel the need to tighten so hard. Probably used an air gun or some big wrench. Thanks for the confirmation.

Pack the case (and especially the plug) in ice for an extended time, to cool the steel plug.

Then rapidly heat the case around the plug, but not the plug, using a heat gun.

Immediately after heating the case again attempt to unscrew the plug.
Thank you for that suggestion. I'll give it a shot.

Thank you for that suggestion. I'll give it a shot.
I think that you will find that they are a 'taper-thread'. The best method is to put a short 1/2in drive extension on it THE WRONG WAY ROUND---i.e.the 'femal' of the extension on to the drain-plug, and then either a socket on the 'male' end or a long adjustable. As previously suggested---fit a new drain plug. I have found that the easiest way to fill the gear-box (if you have to) is to get a length of clear (so that you see the oil drain into the gearbox) plastic piping that will fit INTO the drain/fill orifice (posh word for--hole) and is long enough that it will extend up pass the engine in the engine bay, put a small funnel into the plastic hose and fill the gearbox that way. Of course, if you already have a oil-syringe for filling rear-axles and gearboxes, use that!

I think that you will find that they are a 'taper-thread'. The best method is to put a short 1/2in drive extension on it THE WRONG WAY ROUND---i.e.the 'femal' of the extension on to the drain-plug, and then either a socket on the 'male' end or a long adjustable. As previously suggested---fit a new drain plug. I have found that the easiest way to fill the gear-box (if you have to) is to get a length of clear (so that you see the oil drain into the gearbox) plastic piping that will fit INTO the drain/fill orifice (posh word for--hole) and is long enough that it will extend up pass the engine in the engine bay, put a small funnel into the plastic hose and fill the gearbox that way. Of course, if you already have a oil-syringe for filling rear-axles and gearboxes, use that!
Thanks. A tapered thread would sure explain the frozen- ness. I have a pipe plug socket that is 1/2 inch squar both ends and is the same as using the end of a 1/2 inch extension but better since you can snap the extension right into the rachet or breaker bar.

Back