General Classic 500 steering lock jammed on

Currently reading:
General Classic 500 steering lock jammed on

swdwolf

Hello,
I am a relatively new 1973 Fiat 500 owner (my wife finally won me over to buy one of these babies). Have to say this car has done little mileage in 50+ years, and probably more in the last six months than in decades. The big problem today is the very annoying situation where the key will not go in the ignition unit attached to the steering lock.... I have tried the usual lubricating oils and wires to free up whatever is preventing the key to go in. Even tried different keys. Anyone got any ideas? Never had this problem with an old car before. Yes, there is a first for everything....
I have sourced a new ignition/steering lock part. So if I have to go this route of replacement, how do I get the old unit off with the steering lock engaged? Drill out the lock, or angle grind the body? I am all ears.....
Thanks in advance for any help.
Stephen

Hello,
I am a relatively new 1973 Fiat 500 owner (my wife finally won me over to buy one of these babies). Have to say this car has done little mileage in 50+ years, and probably more in the last six months than in decades. The big problem today is the very annoying situation where the key will not go in the ignition unit attached to the steering lock.... I have tried the usual lubricating oils and wires to free up whatever is preventing the key to go in. Even tried different keys. Anyone got any ideas? Never had this problem with an old car before. Yes, there is a first for everything....
I have sourced a new ignition/steering lock part. So if I have to go this route of replacement, how do I get the old unit off with the steering lock engaged? Drill out the lock, or angle grind the body? I am all ears.....
Thanks in advance for any help.
Stephen
Others may give more specific detail, however in general if the key will not go into the lock to turn probably, to the first position then any release mechanism such as a button to push in that release the key barrel is unlikely to work.
In the 1970s I worked on Ladas which strangely enough being Fiat based used similar locks and ignition switches, the common problem was the owner taking the key out on full lock causing the lock to jam. If lucky turning the steering wheel slightly in one direction as moving the key would solve the problem, but in your case you find the key will not even go into the lock.
What I suggest is you wait for new lock and inspect that to judge best option, as I think there were a few versions.
By the way if you inspect the correct key, has it got bent a little as that was a common problem also. :)

Back