General Garage damaged my sill

Currently reading:
General Garage damaged my sill

Baglady1990

One job always leads to another
This is a big reason I do all my own work!! Unfortunately I had to book my car in for work I couldn’t do! And this is what I noticed this morning…. @typecastboy any tips or repair as I’ll probably have to repair this myself come spring!
IMG_4531.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4533.jpeg
    IMG_4533.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
This is a big reason I do all my own work!! Unfortunately I had to book my car in for work I couldn’t do! And this is what I noticed this morning…. @typecastboy any tips or repair as I’ll probably have to repair this myself come spring!
View attachment 436936
I'd be straight back to them asking for there insurance details for a claim against the garage

The good to need straighting and the entire area repaiting and blending in to the rest of the sill

So sorry that happend to you

Let the garage head person know straight away you have found the damage caused by them and don't be fobbed off.
Plus tell them in writing with photos.
If a nationwide chain contact head office.

Best wishes
Jack
Always upsetting… with my pride & joy but it will get sorted one way or another

This is a big reason I do all my own work!
Couldn't agree more (y). I did manage to break the tabs on one of my plastic hub caps. but no biggie, ordered a couple more, so I've got a spare, seeing as they're so delicate. I was moving the trolley jack to the other side of the car, a task that required I push the jack under the tarpauline. When I walked through the door to get to the inside of the tarp, The cap was in the path and I had inadvertently run over it ☹️ with the jack.

Will never take mine to a garage, MOT is all they get. Even bought a balancer so I could do my own tyres. Oh, and a stainless exhaust so I have almost nobody to touch my vehicles now.

I'd be wary of claiming if you don't want to affect your NCD, unless you get it in writing, what insurers say and what they do are not always the same.

Best of luck with the repair, I personally would smear grease over that (after you've decided your course of action) to prevent any corrosion getting started untill you're ready to sort it.

Not a straightforward fix, best bet, weld on keys and pull it out, however that strips off the galvanised coating permanently then fill and paint, not an issue if done correctly?
Yeah will speak to the garage tomorrow … either way it’s prob a job for the professionals

Agree with all the above the garage working on your car caused the problem its up to them or there insurance company to sort it!.
Did they not say ANYTHING when you went to collect the car!? if not hardly honorable are they!.

If they give you trouble along the lines of basically saying prove it was us that caused the damage dont be intimidated! say fine I will speak with my solicitor then!, and also mention that it might not be in there best interests that the problem is highlighted on Facebook! this forum etc!you could also mention that you would be contacting the media to bring the issue onto local news newspapers etc!
What ever happens keep a record of ALL conversations get written conformation of ALL thats said and set up a file and save all E-Mails from ANYBODY involved you want a completely traceable paper-trail with times /dates/ and who said what in case you want to go to court!
hopefully they will do the right thing! if not and you get trouble be sure to name and shame them on here for all to see! wishing you the best outcome!

Yep can be a real hassle having to prove and do all the leg work to get the result you want(deserve) when someone has done you wrong!(n) in many cases it seems everything is loaded AGAINTS the victim! and the person/people who caused the problem knows this and use the system againts you! thats why i said dont be intimidated!- just calmly state what you would like to happen and what you intend to do if it does not!.

Never get angry or emotional as this leads to clouded judgment and decison making!. understand the amount of time and hassle involved againts the costs involved but being a bloody minded bas***d I wont let them get away with it!!!! even if i dont get a legal result i always get there in the end as turnabout is fair play in my world, and one way or another its going to cost them! not that id ever advocate doing anything Illegal or untowards of course!!🤔

just thinking that as almost everyone these days has a mobile phone with a camera on it it would be sound practice if your taking a vehicle to a"profesonal repairer" for work to take a few pictures prior to taking it in ! then when you go to pick it up do a good walk round before accepting the vehicle and paying the bill! any issues found bring up straight away and insure the repairer knows you have evidence that the issue was not present before you took the vehicle to them!

@Baglady1990, I'm gutted for you. I know how I'd feel if this had happened to me. I also know how much care you've taken with your car over the years, and now this.

The part of me that believes in justice wouldn't want to see that garage get away with this. The weakness of the 500 sills is well understood in the trade by now and they really should have known better. But at the end of the day, you need to do what feels right for you, and I can understand you not wanting to risk making the situation any worse than it already is.

Much as I'd like to see this particular garage named and shamed, the reality is that this could happen to anyone taking a 500 anywhere for just about anything. It's one reason why I always take the wheels separately in another car at tyre change time.

I personally would smear grease over that

So would I, and I'd also want to get some sort of wax based protection into the inside of that sill - it's likely to have damaged any factory-applied corrosion proofing on the internal sill seam.

Any repair is gong to further damage the galvanising, so thinking about long term corrosion protection is important. Repairing this so that it looks good now is much easier than repairing it so that it still looks good in five years time.

For those new to this issue, and not wanting this to happen to them, I've linked my historic post on the subject, here. I wrote this a long time ago now, before the problem was generally known, but if I were writing it again today, I wouldn't change one word of it.

Last edited:
@Baglady1990, I'm gutted for you. I know how I'd feel if this had happened to me. I also know how much care you've taken with your car over the years, and now this.

The part of me that believes in justice wouldn't want to see that garage get away with this. The weakness of the 500 sills is well understood in the trade by now and they really should have known better. But at the end of the day, you need to do what feels right for you, and I can understand you not wanting to risk making the situation any worse than it already is.

Much as I'd like to see this particular garage named and shamed, the reality is that this could happen to anyone taking a 500 anywhere for just about anything. It's one reason why I always take the wheels separately in another car at tyre change time.

So would I, and I'd also want to get some sort of wax based protection into the inside of that sill - it's likely to have damaged any factory-applied corrosion proofing on the internal sill seam.

For those new to this issue, and not wanting this to happen to them, I've linked my historic post on the subject, here. I wrote this a long time ago now, before the problem was generally known, but if I were writing it again today, I wouldn't change one word of it.
Thank you Jk and yes I was speechless… and of course upset… miffed all the rest! I will let the garage know and I’ll see what they say! But now im over the shock I’ll just take it from there!
I will get some grease on just while the weather is bad and I’ll decide what to do after speaking to the garage!
Either way I’ll get it sorted and she will be back to pristine condition in no time!

Back