Technical Fuse & Engine oddity & query

Currently reading:
Technical Fuse & Engine oddity & query

Cinq Dreamer

Hi,

Three questions about fuses/oddities in my 899cc Cinq:

1) Whilst trying to find the source of a long-term problem in which my passenger electric window doesn't open, I found an oddity in my fuse box - one seems to be missing!

DSC00118.JPG

Or are these "4" to the left of the main fuse box supposed to be spares, as they are not in the Haynes wiring diagram?

2) The fuses/relays behind the ECU (Black relays, yellow and white fuses, under a plastic cover), what do they do? Again, I can't find these listed in the Haynes manual.

DSC00119.JPG

An entry under fuses on page 12.3 of the haynes manual says:

"On certain models (eg, models with air conditioning and "Sporting models) additional fuses are located in a fusebox on the left-hand side of the engine compartment, behind the engine electronic control unit."

Does this entry refer to these fuses or something else? It shouldn't I know, because my car doesn't have air con and is certainly not sporting, which is why I'm confused as to what they are!

3) Finally another puzzling aspect of my car: The Haynes manual distinguishes between OHV and OHC Engines, with a picture of both near the front of the manual. One of the differences seems to be a "fusible link housing" on OHC engines which lives on top of the battery. Does this fusible link housing exist on OHV engines, because it isn't in the picture of an OHV engine in the manual, yet I have one in my car! Odd. Can someone please confirm whether or not this housing is specific and limited to the OHC engine, or common to both?

Cheers

Hi,

Three questions about fuses/oddities in my 899cc Cinq:

1) Whilst trying to find the source of a long-term problem in which my passenger electric window doesn't open, I found an oddity in my fuse box - one seems to be missing!

View attachment 93388

Or are these "4" to the left of the main fuse box supposed to be spares, as they are not in the Haynes wiring diagram?

They are spares

2) The fuses/relays behind the ECU (Black relays, yellow and white fuses, under a plastic cover), what do they do? Again, I can't find these listed in the Haynes manual.

View attachment 93389

An entry under fuses on page 12.3 of the haynes manual says:

"On certain models (eg, models with air conditioning and "Sporting models) additional fuses are located in a fusebox on the left-hand side of the engine compartment, behind the engine electronic control unit."

Does this entry refer to these fuses or something else? It shouldn't I know, because my car doesn't have air con and is certainly not sporting, which is why I'm confused as to what they are!

Fuel and Coil relays. Sportings have them all in one,

3) Finally another puzzling aspect of my car: The Haynes manual distinguishes between OHV and OHC Engines, with a picture of both near the front of the manual. One of the differences seems to be a "fusible link housing" on OHC engines which lives on top of the battery. Does this fusible link housing exist on OHV engines, because it isn't in the picture of an OHV engine in the manual, yet I have one in my car! Odd. Can someone please confirm whether or not this housing is specific and limited to the OHC engine, or common to both?

Cheers

Early OHVs did not have the fusible link, later ones do.

Cheers

D

Thank you for the quick repsonse, questions answered. Just one more thing....( In a Columbo style, love that program.)

My passenger window doesn't work and hasn't for a long time, apart from a short time at christmas when I was on a trip to Norwich. It worked for a day and then stopped - luckily I had closed it!

I've checked the fuses under the passsenger side facia which are fine. How do I check the condition of the relay? Other than that, do you have any ideas about what else I should check?

Thanks

Back