General Fuelly

Currently reading:
General Fuelly

Slightly off topic but a word of warning not to try this in a Twingo. Just got a call from the wife to say she had broken down 200 yards from the Fiat dealership.

She took her car in for some warranty work and the courtesy car petrol gauge was showing empty. When she said about it she was told that there was enough to get to the petrol station, which turned out to be wrong. Stopped dead in the road during peak traffic, luckily two blokes stopped and pushed car to side of the road.

Needless to say she wasn't very happy.
Not cool at all.....

Whenever I get a loaner from my main dealer it needs jungle juice, but the dealership is next to the forecourt, if it doesn't make THEY can ruddy well push it - I will help by steering :D

In practice though it means I seem to be always returning it with more than it had before I gpot me mitts on it :bang:

Trev

Last light went out 3 miles ago, going for a spin in a bit (with 2 litres in a Gerry can just in case!) so the results will be clear tonight! Never thought an experiment with fuel usage could be so fun (nearly put tense) in an Abarth! :rolleyes:
Take care not to run out of fuel anywhere stupid :)

Results are in! Here are my most shocking stats yet! 368.4 miles (yes you read that right) and 39.44 litres to fill her up!

Trip MPG read 43.5 MPG but actual MPG is 42.5 so it's pretty accurate over long distances. Sport mode was off 90% of the time. Don't think I'll ever break this record (don't think I'll ever want to!) but an interesting experiment none the less :)

Proof that the Abarth 500 can be economical if you want it to be! I usually get 200 to 250 miles average over a tank, so in the long run, driving economically would obviously pay off. But who the hell would want to do that! :slayer:

Results are in! Here are my most shocking stats yet! 368.4 miles (yes you read that right) and 39.44 litres to fill her up!

Trip MPG read 43.5 MPG but actual MPG is 42.5 so it's pretty accurate over long distances. Sport mode was off 90% of the time. Don't think I'll ever break this record (don't think I'll ever want to!) but an interesting experiment none the less :)

Proof that the Abarth 500 can be economical if you want it to be! I usually get 200 to 250 miles average over a tank, so in the long run, driving economically would obviously pay off. But who the hell would want to do that! :slayer:
Still a couple of litres in the tank ;) Next time if you're getting the same indicated MPG you can push it another 15 miles :)

It's good to see you get a decent range out of the thing too :)

Sometimes it's not just about being economical per se but knowing how far the car can go without running out of fuel. If you go 20 miles extra per tank it soom adds up to less trips to the petrol station :)

Still a couple of litres in the tank ;) Next time if you're getting the same indicated MPG you can push it another 15 miles :)

It's good to see you get a decent range out of the thing too :)

Sometimes it's not just about being economical per se but knowing how far the car can go without running out of fuel. If you go 20 miles extra per tank it soom adds up to less trips to the petrol station :)
True, i'm quite lucky working locally, it means i can push the car without having to worry about running out of fuel on the way to/from work! It's not always convenient to run the car this low though. Still, I'm pretty impressed overall. How about an opposite extreme now? How low can i get it! :devil:

What do you bods use for fuelly figures? Computer or manual calculation?
As maxi says, reset the trip meter every time you fill up, next time you fill up, take note of the miles done and fuel you put in (litres) and Fuelly does the maths!

Computer reading on car is quite accurate though, at most it's been out by 3 MPG's (always higher)

Yes, accuracy on our 500 is superb often spot on and the worst it's been is about 2mpg out. On my Ford S-Max it's nowhere near as good, I can get over 60mpg indicated frequently and yet the best actual figure I've ever achieved is only just over 50mpg.

Cracking tank grommet (y)

Well done Paul

Interesting to read the comments about the effects of changing tyres on fuel consumption. I'm wondering what might be achieved by (temporarily!) running on 4x emergency wheels?

To stay legal, you'd be limited to 50mph, which would help as well...

Interesting to read the comments about the effects of changing tyres on fuel consumption. I'm wondering what might be achieved by (temporarily!) running on 4x emergency wheels?

To stay legal, you'd be limited to 50mph, which would help as well...

rather you than me !!!

I'll settle for 55 on steelies rather than 50 in overgrown bicycle tyres :yuck:

Trev

hey all I just wanted a quick opinion from you guys regarding your fuel ups. Does everyone hear fill the car to the brim all the time or just top up little bits here and there? I'm just asking out of curiosity after getting back from holiday myself and not having much in terms of petrol and money left :eek: I decided to only put a small amount in and used the partial fill up under fuelly. Surfice to say that it drops the MPG and sends it a little crazy until a complete top up is next done.

P.S. By the way, the trip 'B' comp in the car that I reset after every fuel up shows that I'm on for 50.8 mpg on this fuel which is improving gradually (y)

hey all I just wanted a quick opinion from you guys regarding your fuel ups. Does everyone hear fill the car to the brim all the time or just top up little bits here and there? I'm just asking out of curiosity after getting back from holiday myself and not having much in terms of petrol and money left :eek: I decided to only put a small amount in and used the partial fill up under fuelly. Surfice to say that it drops the MPG and sends it a little crazy until a complete top up is next done. (y)

If you don't have the money then don't worry. As long as you add it and make it a partial fuel up it'll be all good in the end.

hey all I just wanted a quick opinion from you guys regarding your fuel ups. Does everyone hear fill the car to the brim all the time or just top up little bits here and there? I'm just asking out of curiosity after getting back from holiday myself and not having much in terms of petrol and money left :eek: I decided to only put a small amount in and used the partial fill up under fuelly. Surfice to say that it drops the MPG and sends it a little crazy until a complete top up is next done.

P.S. By the way, the trip 'B' comp in the car that I reset after every fuel up shows that I'm on for 50.8 mpg on this fuel which is improving gradually (y)

I always brim it, then try to get as much as possible out of a tank :D

That's awesome. I like the fact that I could get those miles out the tank if I got one.

Nice going man.

Paul has done well with the Abarth, meanwhile my bog standard 1.2 Panda (not eco model) has just clocked up it's 4th 400+ mile tank :D

Back