General Fuelly

Currently reading:
General Fuelly

I'll try, might even drain the excess off at the pumps to see how much you can really get in! (too far? :confused:)
I ran for about 20-30 miles with the gauge showing empty today. If you're worried about running out of fuel then refuel within 10 miles of the gauge showing empty. If you get 40 litres in then you've got 2 litres at least as a margin :) I still reckon there's a good bit of fuel left in there above 42 litres but until someone runs out or drains their tank on a forecourt (not a good idea IMHO!) then we'll never know. I was tempted to see if the 500 would make it to 500 miles but I didn't think it was a good idea with the wife in the car :p

I ran for about 20-30 miles with the gauge showing empty today. If you're worried about running out of fuel then refuel within 10 miles of the gauge showing empty. If you get 40 litres in then you've got 2 litres at least as a margin :) I still reckon there's a good bit of fuel left in there above 42 litres but until someone runs out or drains their tank on a forecourt (not a good idea IMHO!) then we'll never know. I was tempted to see if the 500 would make it to 500 miles but I didn't think it was a good idea with the wife in the car :p
I'm not sure if Fiat modified the fuel tank for the Abarth (lower suspension, big exhaust maybe?) but even after the gauge runs on empty (i.e. every notch gone) i still only got 36/37 litres in, most i had was just over 38.

The most I have got in the tank is 35.13 litres and that was on friday.

Trev
I can't see why the tanks would be any different but it's possible. The 40+ litre fuelups I get have all been at different pumps in different petrol stations too. Does the Panda have a fuel light that comes on?

Yep, just before you hit the red zone:p
I guess that's the problem with analogue gauges. With the 500 it tells me that I've got 30 miles to go and then goes blank. With an analogue gauge you're always wondering whether it's empty or not!

I guess that's the problem with analogue gauges. With the 500 it tells me that I've got 30 miles to go and then goes blank. With an analogue gauge you're always wondering whether it's empty or not!

Here's the Panda guage - the computer can be set to show miles left in the display in the centre labelled as E

330 miles in! And still got the last 2 notches left. Question, fuel light came on at 310 miles "suggesting" there is only 5 litres left (there is more evidently from Maxi's brimming) but once i loose the last notch, how far would you suggest i drive before refueling?

I want to get it really low, but last time i drove for quite a while with the last notch gone and i still only got 38 litres or so in. Beginning to think the pump Maxi used had not been calibrated for a while! (Or it was set up to rip people off!)

330 miles in! And still got the last 2 notches left. Question, fuel light came on at 310 miles "suggesting" there is only 5 litres left (there is more evidently from Maxi's brimming) but once i loose the last notch, how far would you suggest i drive before refueling?

I want to get it really low, but last time i drove for quite a while with the last notch gone and i still only got 38 litres or so in. Beginning to think the pump Maxi used had not been calibrated for a while! (Or it was set up to rip people off!)
As I've said many times I've fuelled up at different pumps at different stations so you can definitely get 40+ litres of fuel in the 500's tank. Once you lose the last notch you'll get at least 10-15 miles in the Abarth. Like I said I did 20-30 miles with the gauge showing empty.

Ta, i'll try it. Another idea is to arrive at the pumps and just park on the forecourt, engine running until it runs out completely, then just push it up to the pumps! However this would decrease my MPG's a lot, getting 0 MPG for any length of time is not good! :)

As I've said many times I've fuelled up at different pumps at different stations so you can definitely get 40+ litres of fuel in the 500's tank. Once you lose the last notch you'll get at least 10-15 miles in the Abarth. Like I said I did 20-30 miles with the gauge showing empty.
Let me say this clearly again :p

When the range goes empty I reckon there are about 5 litres or so in the tank. If you run the car 30 miles or so (at least in the 1.2, I'd be more careful in the 1.4 or Abarth) from the range going blank and then fill the tank till it clicks the first time you'll get 35 litres or so in from this point. If you then want to you can get 5-7 litres in extra by pulling the nozzle out and then filling it very slowly (and carefully I might add!) till there's fuel at the top of the filler pipe.

Also, I've filled up at different pumps at maybe 10 different garages in different locations all over North Wales and England in my last 30 fuel ups so unless this
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/306maxi/500/log

As Trev says it's always good to be careful but tbh I'd be happy driving 10-15 miles in an Abarth at a leisurely pace and probably even another 10 tbh. But 10-15 miles after the gauge shows empty and you'll be fine with a light right foot :)

I am experiencing a lighty righty at the minute, so i might risk a trip to Porthmadog (25 miles from me) then treat Abi to some super UL (nearest garage that sells it) Although after 17,000 miles on RON 95 (par one tank) i don't hold high hopes for noticing any difference...

We'll see.

I am experiencing a lighty righty at the minute, so i might risk a trip to Porthmadog (25 miles from me) then treat Abi to some super UL (nearest garage that sells it) Although after 17,000 miles on RON 95 (par one tank) i don't hold high hopes for noticing any difference...

We'll see.
If it were me I'd be happy going 25 miles with the gauge showing empty but I'd hate to think of someone else running out of fuel because of me and I'd advise against it :)

If it were me I'd be happy going 25 miles with the gauge showing empty but I'd hate to think of someone else running out of fuel because of me and I'd advise against it :)
I didn't go, i ran out of time. Only did a short trip locally, but I've still got the last notch left. Will probably use that tomorrow and fill up, then all will be revealed :D

I didn't go, i ran out of time. Only did a short trip locally, but I've still got the last notch left. Will probably use that tomorrow and fill up, then all will be revealed :D
Still PLENTY of fuel then ;) Like I said, 10-15 after it shows empty should be easy :)

I filled up last night and have done 30 miles into work this morning and it's currently showing an average of 70.6mpg. The only problem is that I'll only have the Fiat tomorrow and then my wife will be using it, she'll get it down to 40mpg in no time (or distance)! :eek:

Still PLENTY of fuel then ;) Like I said, 10-15 after it shows empty should be easy :)

Slightly off topic but a word of warning not to try this in a Twingo. Just got a call from the wife to say she had broken down 200 yards from the Fiat dealership.

She took her car in for some warranty work and the courtesy car petrol gauge was showing empty. When she said about it she was told that there was enough to get to the petrol station, which turned out to be wrong. Stopped dead in the road during peak traffic, luckily two blokes stopped and pushed car to side of the road.

Needless to say she wasn't very happy.

Back