General Fuelly

Currently reading:
General Fuelly

I'm averaging 55.6 mpg indicated over 390 odd miles :) Pretty darn happy with that. Trip computer says another 90 or so to go.

And how many litres did you get in? 42? 43 maybe?

Did a trip to Shrewsbury today, 120 miles and averaged 46.6 MPG! (no thanks to all the bloody caravans, one of which did 10 MPH, yes 10 up a particular hill, grrrrrrrr....)

35.13 litres including a paw washed in petrol :bang:

I didn't suffer from Caravans, :D

However breakdowns at Junction 7 of the M25, tractors, cyclists and an overworked pedestrian crossing too ktheir toll :cry:

I had aimed to fill up on the way to my parents tomorrow, that idea died the death rapidly :cry:

Last edited:
One of the beauties of living outside a city is never getting stuck in traffic jams ;)

I don't live in a city, unfortunately the quickest (well normally) is via the M25, my daily woek route breaksdown as follows:

Back roads 9 miles
M23 11 miles
M25 22 miles
urban roads 1 mile

The M25 is normally not too bad at the times I hit it, however the start of school hols, the end of same, monday mornings and friday evenings are magnets for accidents :bang::bang:

I was glad I was not going in the other direction last night, the queue went from Junction 9 to Junction 18 causing at least an hour and a half delays :yuck: I just had 1/4 hour delay from Junctions 11 to 7 caused by someone breaking down in the fast lane somewhere near junction 6 :bang:

Unfortunately my best MPG is gained when on the motorways (bar going up Reigate Hill where the lorries kill the momentum for everyone - 3 wide at 40!) as I can dawdle along at 55 :D

Trev

This is most of my drive to work.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=A547&daddr=Unknown+road+to:53.11716,-3.307056&hl=en&geocode=FdxhLQMdIM7L_w%3BFc3EKwMd-8PL_w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1&sll=53.133178,-3.319073&sspn=0.044646,0.13175&ie=UTF8&ll=53.185773,-3.389368&spn=0.044591,0.13175&z=14

As you can see there's very little travel through towns at all and if I leave early and are lucky with traffic I can pretty much get to work without having to actually come to a stop once :) Usually in the mornings my mpg drops a little but I tend to get that back plus a little more in the afternoon

This is most of my drive to work.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...53.185773,-3.389368&spn=0.044591,0.13175&z=14

As you can see there's very little travel through towns at all and if I leave early and are lucky with traffic I can pretty much get to work without having to actually come to a stop once :) Usually in the mornings my mpg drops a little but I tend to get that back plus a little more in the afternoon

Here's mine, the first bit through to the M23 is mostly uphill, great for coming home though on the MPG front :D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...1.454315&t=h&z=10&saddr=rh163bh&daddr=kt168sh

No wonder you have the car with the fun factor !!

Could you remember how to fill up the Panda you used to have ? :D

with that trip an MJ would truggle to remember the pumps (y)

That trip will soon descend, one bloody hold up and it will be history :bang:

Trev

Muwhahahaha :p I managed 486 miles on that tank and still had at least half a litre of fuel left. Got 53.2 mpg which is a personal best for me and ever so slightly more than I did with my last tank before taking the winter tyres off, just shows how much difference the cold makes in lowering your MPG and how much wider tyres rob you of economy. No effing idea how Mark Elvin has managed 57 mpg in his car on 195's!!!!! I reckon I could probably manage that after an oil and filter change if I was extremely lucky.

Care to do a swap of rims at some stage Trev? I'll swap my 16" multispokes for your 13" steelies for however long it takes for both of us to go through a tank of petrol :D

Muwhahahaha :p I managed 486 miles on that tank and still had at least half a litre of fuel left. Got 53.2 mpg which is a personal best for me and ever so slightly more than I did with my last tank before taking the winter tyres off, just shows how much difference the cold makes in lowering your MPG and how much wider tyres rob you of economy. No effing idea how Mark Elvin has managed 57 mpg in his car on 195's!!!!! I reckon I could probably manage that after an oil and filter change if I was extremely lucky.

Care to do a swap of rims at some stage Trev? I'll swap my 16" multispokes for your 13" steelies for however long it takes for both of us to go through a tank of petrol :D

Mark's 57 mpg is easily done, if you have a good run then a dodgy fill up (cannot get the normal amount in the tank) you get a great distance for bugga all fuel - like may 31st 2008 in my case :)

I might take you up on the swap at some point, but later in the year - I will need to get 4 new tyres later on so you can then have new(ish) rubber as opposed to a well worn mix of types (the fronts are a different make to the back)

A fairer test would be a month on them, there's too much variance in my mpg to give the wheels a decent test.

Trev

Mark's 57 mpg is easily done, if you have a good run then a dodgy fill up (cannot get the normal amount in the tank) you get a great distance for bugga all fuel - like may 31st 2008 in my case :)

I might take you up on the swap at some point, but later in the year - I will need to get 4 new tyres later on so you can then have new(ish) rubber as opposed to a well worn mix of types (the fronts are a different make to the back)

A fairer test would be a month on them, there's too much variance in my mpg to give the wheels a decent test.

Trev

Good point. That's why I always brim my tank. All of the MPG's I've got should be exact except maybe for the first 3 or 4 when I was putting fuel in and was wondering where it was going when I was getting more than 35 litres in so I'd stop early.

I don't think you'd need a month to see the difference in tyres though. Just going down from 195's to 175's was a dramatic difference. Going down to 155's or 135's would make the 500 feel very weird indeed.

If you track the MPG you might spot an otherwise unnoticed problem when the MPG begins to nosedive.

It also encourages you to drive more economically

Trev

Ahh, this is why it makes no sense to me.

I change my oil about every 4k or so and while it's on the hoist I have a nose around to see that all is well.

Also driving more economically is dull. If you want to drive economically buy VW-lobotomy-mobile in super-green-motion-blue-diesel-enviro-****-spec.

:D

Ahh, this is why it makes no sense to me.

I change my oil about every 4k or so and while it's on the hoist I have a nose around to see that all is well.

Also driving more economically is dull. If you want to drive economically buy VW-lobotomy-mobile in super-green-motion-blue-diesel-enviro-****-spec.

:D

I don't see why it has to be so boring. All I do to drive economically is leave some distance to the car in front so I have more chance of getting through roundabouts and around corners without having to brake. I don't tend to get overtaken and if I do the person in front usually doesn't get anywhere all that quicker than me. I also try to minimise braking as well. If I wanted to drive properly slow I reckon I could do better in terms of MPG but that's just silly and annoying for the people behind you.

I don't see why it has to be so boring. All I do to drive economically is leave some distance to the car in front so I have more chance of getting through roundabouts and around corners without having to brake. I don't tend to get overtaken and if I do the person in front usually doesn't get anywhere all that quicker than me. I also try to minimise braking as well. If I wanted to drive properly slow I reckon I could do better in terms of MPG but that's just silly and annoying for the people behind you.

Same, there's a particular stretch on the way home which changes from 60 to 30 limit and I've perfected where to change gear to allow to me slow right down within a few seconds and before passing the sign without using the brakes at all :D

I'm gonna break some records on this tank! (for an Abarth anyway) I'm just over half way through the tank, and I've done 250 miles, i'm usually on the look out for a petrol station at around the 200 mile mark. Tourists (and their stupid driving) aren't all bad i guess! They hold me up, i save fuel...

I'm gonna break some records on this tank! (for an Abarth anyway) I'm just over half way through the tank, and I've done 250 miles, i'm usually on the look out for a petrol station at around the 200 mile mark. Tourists (and their stupid driving) aren't all bad i guess! They hold me up, i save fuel...
Run it properly low and see how far it'll go. Not going to damage your engine.

Back