Technical Fuel issue

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel issue

Lauchlan

Hi all, I own a fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8v and I'm having issues starting I've seen that it can possibly be the fuel pump relay as if I put the key to ignition point 1 then connect the battery the fuel pump primes but if the battery has previously been connected the fuel pump doesn't prime, does anyone have any ideas what this could be ?

Hi all, I own a fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8v and I'm having issues starting I've seen that it can possibly be the fuel pump relay as if I put the key to ignition point 1 then connect the battery the fuel pump primes but if the battery has previously been connected the fuel pump doesn't prime, does anyone have any ideas what this could be ?
When you say connect your battery , do you mean when you first get in car and turn ignition light on you hear the fuel pump , then it stops and if you then switch ignition off and turn key back on you don't hear the fuel pump as if so that is normal as the fuel pressure has been reached for the injectors so doesn't need any more until engine turned over or running when you wouldn't be able to hear the pump any way, if so all that is normal.:)

When you say connect your battery , do you mean when you first get in car and turn ignition light on you hear the fuel pump , then it stops and if you then switch ignition off and turn key back on you don't hear the fuel pump as if so that is normal as the fuel pressure has been reached for the injectors so doesn't need any more until engine turned over or running when you wouldn't be able to hear the pump any way, if so all that is normal.:)
No mate if I get in the car and try and turn the key it will crank and not start but if I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, the car starts fine I believe it's the fuel pump relay switch in the engine bay fuse box due to me bypassing it by attaching the battery terminal when the car is at ignition point one. As I'm getting voltage to the fuel pump sender unit within the fuel tank as once I do this starting procedure I can hear the fuel pump prime, the car only seems to do this now and again and sometimes also has issues with the throttle pedal position sensor but I've replaced the pedal and I believe I need to relearn the values using a diagnostic machine.

No mate if I get in the car and try and turn the key it will crank and not start but if I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, the car starts fine I believe it's the fuel pump relay switch in the engine bay fuse box due to me bypassing it by attaching the battery terminal when the car is at ignition point one. As I'm getting voltage to the fuel pump sender unit within the fuel tank as once I do this starting procedure I can hear the fuel pump prime, the car only seems to do this now and again and sometimes also has issues with the throttle pedal position sensor but I've replaced the pedal and I believe I need to relearn the values using a diagnostic machine.
Oh I see!
Nothing simple in this life.
One of my daughters had a issue with an 06 Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet part of which related to the fuel pump relay you describe in the engine compartment N/S.
On hers the fuel pump relay also controlled the starter via the ECU on the O/S wing, the thin wire had rotted through inside the plastic sheathing, so the relay wasn't getting it's signal to operate. So basically when the car arrived neither the fuel pump or the starter would function apart from the mechanical issues.
Don't know if it is the same or will help but with relay out and the main supply and connection to tank identified so that bridging them operates the fuel pump, on hers the other two wires/terminals that activate the relay when working correctly but connected to a voltmeter were found to swap from plus to minus depending on ignition position via the ECU, not sure of the reason for this but once the broken wire was replaced at ECU and the mechanical issue caused by previous owners mechanics the car worked fine and she ran it for several years.

Back