FROZEN HANDBRAKE !!!

Currently reading:
FROZEN HANDBRAKE !!!

C

Chris

Anyone know why in this cold snap my
handbrake is freezing up and taking AGES to release !

Is there anything I can do to prevent / solve this ??

Thanks in advance

Chris

P.s. Incase it matter car is 155 HGT

how to prevent it....

... DON'T put it on the handbrake :)

I had the same problem :(

Never had it with my Punto though!

Frozen Assets

Yup, my 155 HGT gets locked solid at the first sign of a frost. I gently rock the car back and forth until it releases (Well not gently as I get pissed off with it and end up dragging the bloody thing down the road until it releases!) This is a common fault with all Bravo's, my 1.4sx has exactly the same issue.

I also have had fun with the 1.4 this morning. The battery is somewhat flat as I hadn't used it since last Friday and the bonnet has frozen shut as well. So I can't use the battery slave to start the engine to defrost the engine bay to open the bonnet to start the engine to defrost the screen and eventually drag the bloody thing down the road to release the handbrake! You think you've got problems!

Cheers

frozen handbrake

Hi there,

I have the same problem as you, and just put the phone down to my Fiat mechanic. He says that basically there is a rubber grommet for the cable which splits and lets water in. When this happens the water freezes and seizes the handbrake - apparently a common problem for all Bravos.

the way around this is basically replace the grommet or cable (£30?) and the should solve it. Whether the grommets or cables are redesigned parts to last longer is another thing.....

Phil

Have the same Frozen Issue. But NEVER FORCE THE BLOCKED HANDBRAKE !

Hi guys,

Have a 98'HGT(lots of U know it...)& have the same problem every winter.(I had 3 with the HGT & no problems with the former Tipo)
I live in Ankara/Turkey & think we have the worst climate of all. Some nights it hits to (-10c)!
Brrrr....

It's the common problem of Bravo's & NEVER TRY TO FORCE,UNLOCK THE FROZEN HANDBRAKE by riding.
Believe me you'll be very sorry otherwise. U can even rip out the Brake pads, broke the discs & of course the handbrake system...

One more little advice; at very cold temp.(below -4) don't set the handbrake & don't leave the car on ANY GEAR. Unfortunately, you can find out that the gear likes to stuck in the position that you left. Even the clutch won't work & you can damage the whole transmission. Remember, they are not Volvos' or Saabs, designed for the freeze... They're the hot Itailan hatches.
I can hear you saying "How the f**k I'm going to succeed to stop/block the car & leave it stationary ?"
Use something like a big stone/pavement etc...

See ya !

Hi, I had exactly the same; -2c and the thing already froze.. Since that morning I just don't use the parkbrake and just keep it in 1st gear. It works!
Now I have a different problem; I cannot open the boot of my '98 HGT by means of the key; the opener next to the driversseat works fine; any suggestions?

Frozen Handbrake

Same problem with my 2000 Marea 20v. I just don't apply the handbrake now. The problem is caused by the little rubber gator bursting at the back of the caliper.

Handbrake

I get the same problem on my 99 HGT, just poured loads of hot water under the car and it freed it up enough to get it moving, it was bit arsey in the ice though.