Handbrake frozen guide? Anyone have instructions on how to fix it?

Currently reading:
Handbrake frozen guide? Anyone have instructions on how to fix it?

D

Darren

Hey everyone,

Every year I think to myself "I know my handbrake freezes but i'll just leave it in gear".
Then come winter I wish I had fixed it (same as my air con in the summer).

Does anyone have a guide on how to fix the freezing handbrake issue and any parts I need?

thanks

Darren

Buy new handbrake cables. Before fitting syringe grease into the ends by removing the rubbers. Then fit them to the car. Grease the rubbers so that they don't perish and split. Make sure the rubbers aren't being stretched too far when being engaged and disengaged. Did this to my bravo and its been fine through both bad uk winters.

hanks for replies,

Mike
it isn't so much the weather, its the rubber bungs under the car, they perish and that's what lets the handbrake freeze.

I wasn't sure if anyone had a guide with images as it's too cold to get underneath and have a play, I would like to know what I'm looking for before going outside :)

@Dark - is there a way to replace the rubbers and not the whole handbrake cable?

Cheers guys

Darren

Darren,i didnt know that tbh just thought it were down to the weather.Ive got new HB cables myself that arnt fitted yet and wont be till after new year,so when i do fit them i will grease them up.well after i have seen a guide somewhere so i know what im doing.

The above is correct, I had the same problem with a Fiat Croma years ago. The rubbers perish and let moisture in, which then freezes in the cold weather. The best solution is new cables I'm afraid, just wrong time of year to be messing about under a car lol!!

You don't need a guide.

But what I did was put the rear of the car up on ramps.

From inside the car...

1. Undo the screw under the handbrake to slacken off the handbrake cables.

From under the car...

2. Disconnect the rear left and right cables from the callipers.

3. The cables are clipped in place in certain areas, pull them free and disconnect the cables from the main cable to the handbrake.

Grease the new ones as mentioned above, and refit.

Dead easy!

cheers guys,

does seem new cables are the only way so when it warms up a bit I will jump underneath. Anyone know where to get a full kit from cheap?

:)

Darren

sorry,

not trying to sound stupid but is it just the 2x cables on the rear of the car attached to the brakes (in the casing) or is it also the cable running from the handle inside the car, back.

thanks

1 either side that connect to the handbrake.Well i think anyway as mine are a pair :)

mikey_sig2.jpg

A Fiat Marea in a Bravo Shell..Its good to be different ;)
Now with working Steering Wheel Controls :)
FC Performance chip> 160bhp est.