Handbrake light...

Currently reading:
Handbrake light...

A

Ant Wells

Keeps coming on while I'm driving...and no the handbrake is not on before someone suggests that :p

A firm hit the the handbrake solves it until I hit a bump (dime a dozen on these roads).

Loose connection? If so, where is it located?

Cheers.

Ant its under the CC iirc you may have to remove it

Under the what?

Just had a search of the forum and it seems the general consensus is either worn brake pads and/or low fluids. Will have to get them checked.

the plug for the HB can be accessed by removing the hb gaitor.you will see the cable going to it.

I was thinking,someone said to me that sx's didnt have brake pad wear sensors? cos when i changed my discs and pads i had to get 20v ones to which they had sensor wires on the pads but no where for them to plug in (and the fact the old pads didnt have them)
The HB cable is totally different and has nothing to do with the front pads as you will know,so if anything it will be down to your shoes perhaps?

I read that it's not a brake pad sensor it's that a worn pad means more fluid has to be used, thus draining the reservoir past it's optimum level. Either way I'll get it all checked out. Don't KwikFit do free brake tests?

sig.jpg

ah right ok...just with you saying worn pads i auto thought down to the sensors.

yer,get it to kiwk fit.

Got it checked at kwikfit and turns out that there is a corroded brake line and my O/S rear shoe is worn...£180 they wanted!!

Took it to a different garage who quoted £130, but I was looking in my haynes manual and a rear shoe doesn't look too difficult so I might give it a go myself.

Hi Ant,

The rear shoes are easy to replace... shouldn't take you long either.. you may need to replace the drum as well as there will be a lip in the inside of the brake drum from your old pads or you could just remove the lip with a grinder i did on my 1.8 and it saved quite a bit...

The brake line you might get away with replacing a small section rather than the whole thing....

P010810_075601.jpg

Was gonna say if its anythin to do with hb then itd be your rear shoes.
Isnt the drum a pain in the arse to get off tho?

I paid £130 for the work replacing 4 shoes,2 cylinders,part hb cable and track rod end.the parts i got myself so spent best part of £200 on the focus for its mot.Had no choice tbh only had a week to get it back in and get 1 day off and as per...mates are busy.

i got rid of my rear drums and converted it to rear discs much better on the eye
seems strange that the rear shoes put the hb light on as there is no sensors back there unless the corroded pipe is leaking and the bottle fluid has dropped

ANDY

02 marea weekend 100sx 7 SEATER
current mileage: 63601
Bigger is
much better

IMG-20101113-00005copy-1.jpg

Another mot done 6 mots and a few advisories the old girl is looking good

Check out my Members Page for a list of the full mods

http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/members/367andykent.htm