Technical Front suspension refresh

Currently reading:
Technical Front suspension refresh

Hi following on from an MOT advisory for a leaking shock absorber, I’ve decided to refresh both complete front struts. I’m wanting to build them up so I can quickly swap each pre assembled leg. So daft question I’m assuming (but could be wrong) that the conical bump stop goes on the shock with the narrow end down? Sadly I’ve no picture that shows this as they are always covered 🤦🏼‍♂️

Looking at them there doesn’t seem to be much travel before they come into play… picture without cover on and shock fully extended

Attachments

• FE6562CD-3987-4C2D-BA18-64068411080E.jpeg
    FE6562CD-3987-4C2D-BA18-64068411080E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 228
I believe you have the narrow end uppermost the flat end fits against the top of the strut.
For the extra cost and to ensure a once and for all fix I would change the bottom arms and the anti roll drop links at the same time and if you havnt already the strut top bearings. All this is a steady days work. The strut top mount / bearings need to go on the correct way round and care is needed to ensure they are properly centred to avoid knocking after on speed bumps. You need an impact gun to get the top nuts undone or you may be there forever. I bought one for this job and its been worth its weight in gold ever since. My local gagrage did offer to lend one as its just two nuts to undo. Its also good for the drop link nuts as well.

I believe you have the narrow end uppermost the flat end fits against the top of the strut.
For the extra cost and to ensure a once and for all fix I would change the bottom arms and the anti roll drop links at the same time and if you havnt already the strut top bearings. All this is a steady days work. The strut top mount / bearings need to go on the correct way round and care is needed to ensure they are properly centred to avoid knocking after on speed bumps. You need an impact gun to get the top nuts undone or you may be there forever. I bought one for this job and its been worth its weight in gold ever since. My local gagrage did offer to lend one as its just two nuts to undo. Its also good for the drop link nuts as well.
Thanks Panda Nut, it looks like the bottom arms were done recently but not sure how long ago that actually was. Last owner confirmed the drop links were done by himself just before we bought it, but the rest looks like it’s original. I bought new springs, top plates, mounts and nuts so I could build them up in the shed and then hopefully swap the units quickly without spending too much time under the car in the cold and wet 🤞🏻😬
My good lady bought me an impact wrench last year after seeing me battling bolts with a breaker bar, sweating and swearing… she just didn’t buy the sockets 🤣

Attachments

• 013BFA51-21BC-497A-A446-FEBD95EC9E7B.jpeg
    013BFA51-21BC-497A-A446-FEBD95EC9E7B.jpeg
    650.9 KB · Views: 33
  • F5E2D7D5-5638-4C76-96A8-E3C7E6FA7F86.jpeg
    F5E2D7D5-5638-4C76-96A8-E3C7E6FA7F86.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
The bit about parts locking together is vital. I bought non matching parts and they refused to lock in. Result was anther set were required because the gaitor kept dropping and caused a lot of loud bangs. I tried various cheats to stick the things before changing them Of course you have to strip the struts out again to do this. I got quite good at strut removal in the end......

The bit about parts locking together is vital. I bought non matching parts and they refused to lock in. Result was anther set were required because the gaitor kept dropping and caused a lot of loud bangs. I tried various cheats to stick the things before changing them Of course you have to strip the struts out again to do this. I got quite good at strut removal in the end......
They came as a complete kit and don't lock together at all. I’ve ordered another set from a different supplier to see if they are different 🤞🏻

I had a seized top nut. The solution was to drill down the threads with a 3mm bit - ideally so you cut 50-50 into strut threads and nut threads. It worked and the nut unscrewed no problem. It's quite easy because the nut's nyloc insert stops the drill slipping.

Drop links may well be seized so be ready to change them with the struts. I slice the nuts vertically with an angle grinder slitting disc. Go right across the middle and down 90% of the way. Be careful to not cut into the ARB or drop link bracket. The slotted nut breaks off with a screwdriver. The ball joint end is being replaced anyway.

Don't bother changing the bottom arms unless you have to. The job has minimal effect on the strut replacement work, so there's no time to be saved.

New bump stops tuned up today and with the expected squeeze and push they all locked together as they should. First strut built up 👍🏻 will build up the second and then they can wait for the next good weather day when I'm not at work 🤞🏻
Thanks for all the advice 👍🏻

Attachments

• FC557D5A-3158-45B4-A119-5E4F9246C9FA.jpeg
    FC557D5A-3158-45B4-A119-5E4F9246C9FA.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 41
New bump stops tuned up today and with the expected squeeze and push they all locked together as they should. First strut built up 👍🏻 will build up the second and then they can wait for the next good weather day when I'm not at work 🤞🏻
Thanks for all the advice 👍🏻
I fitted Monro shock on our 2WD and am very pleased still with the smooth ride. Good choice!

They came as a complete kit and don't lock together at all. I’ve ordered another set from a different supplier to see if they are different 🤞🏻
It would be good to know who made the ones that work, and who the ones that didnt. I sold a pair I over ordered on eBay and they flew away maybe you can get some money back this way

It would be good to know who made the ones that work, and who the ones that didnt. I sold a pair I over ordered on eBay and they flew away maybe you can get some money back this way
I was able to return it as there were other flaws in the white plastic casting, sadly they weren’t branded but the seller was ok and paid the return postage too, so not bad really.
The ones I bought that worked were KYB I think.

Back