Technical Front Seat removal

Currently reading:
Technical Front Seat removal

MuckleBigPie

Hi All,

I'm trying to remove the front seats (4 door).
When removing the back bolt, nearest the centre of the car, I can feel that the bolt becomes loose quickly in all directions and feels as if it has a nut on the other side rather than being anchored to the frame. I didn't want to carry on in case the bolt falls out and I can't reattach.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi All,

When removing the back bolt, nearest the centre of the car, I can feel that the bolt becomes loose quickly in all directions and feels as if it has a nut on the other side rather than being anchored to the frame. I didn't want to carry on in case the bolt falls out and I can't reattach.

Thanks
If a trapped nut has broken loose from it's weld then unless it is possible to gain any access another way, it probably involves either drilling a hole to put something in there to hold it securely whilst undoing and resecuring the bolt to the nut. or cutting an access hole, welding another trapped nut in place and making good any metal work. If not your skill then it may be worth speaking to a bodyshop guy to see what he advises.

Hi All,

Thanks
Follow up information:

I have tried the
I think my bolts behaved similarly and there was room for the 'nut' end to move but it didnt fall out. Try slackening the other side and see if its the same??
I have tried the other seat and it's the same. I have been under the car and there is a cover fixed with sealant where the nut/bolt lives. When you took yours off was the bolt longer than the others? I'm thinking that the bolt may go far enough down to pick the nut up.

I never looked. I just took the bolts out and they went back in OK. I remeber feeling nervous but it wasnt a problem. I think you will be OK but obviosly cant be sure. I think the nut is a captive plate in a tube arrangement, and the bolt did reach it, or you can get a little screw driver under the plate to raise it from inside the car. Certainly it didnt create any issues that required any particular effort. I think the nut / plate is loose to allow a little jiggling to align everything on fitting. Pretty sure the back bolts are 10 to 15 longer than front pair.

Back