Friends Punto appears to be more powerful than my corsa

Currently reading:
Friends Punto appears to be more powerful than my corsa

matttollman

Hi, The other day i noticed that my mates 1.2 8valver, the 60bhp one was actually rather rapid, it was doing 90mph in 5th gear and only at 4k rpm. I though it felt rather quick before, so i tried my fith gear 4k rpm speed and i was only doing about 75mph in my 1.2 16v Corsa C which is supposidly 73bhp?

Anyone know why this is, both are standard engine wise?

Hi, The other day i noticed that my mates 1.2 8valver, the 60bhp one was actually rather rapid, it was doing 90mph in 5th gear and only at 4k rpm. I though it felt rather quick before, so i tried my fith gear 4k rpm speed and i was only doing about 75mph in my 1.2 16v Corsa C which is supposidly 73bhp?

Anyone know why this is, both are standard engine wise?

Somethin wrong with the Corsa?

Ha stuffed by a feak and weeble 1.2 Rock on little GP! :ROFLMAO::woot:

different gear ratios explain the difference in speed at any given rpm, nothing else.

the difference in speedo accuracy could skew the real difference, use gps to get a more accurate idea.

if my car had 1000bhp and yours had 10bhp, and we both used the same gearbox and same size tyres, then we would do exactly the same speed at any given rpm in any given gear.

Last edited:
different gear ratios explain the difference in speed at any given rpm, nothing else.

the difference in speedo accuracy could skew the real difference, use gps to get a more accurate idea.

if my car had 1000bhp and yours had 10bhp, and we both used the same gearbox and same size tyres, then we would do exactly the same speed at any given rpm in any given gear.

So if i put the same gearbox and tyres on my corsa that the Bugatti Veyron has it would be just as fast as the veyron :D

Last edited:
So if i put the same gearbox and tyres on my corsa that the Bugatti Veyron has it would be just as fast as the veyron :D

Dangerous to get Smart with Jug! :eek:

It depends if the ratios are matched to the 1000bhp or the 10bhp! :D

in terms of speed at any given rpm yes, but acceleration would be much slower because your weak engine would stuggle to turn the gears, just like a mountain bike when you have the highest gear selected at low speed and you cant pedal easily at all.

Back