General Franko the 1971 500L

Currently reading:
General Franko the 1971 500L

I tried heating the screws & also using a drift. Still the little buggers would not turn. So I decided to drill them out but then I remembered I had some special tools for removing bolts.
I drilled a 4mm hole all the way through then used the tool to remove them. Sorry cant remember their name, but basically they are a course left hand tapered threaded tap. You turn them anti clockwise and they get really tight then undo the bolt. I thought my tap holder was going to break when all of a sudden the screws came loose!

So everything is stripped down. Regards the main bearings & big end bearings, how do I know what size they are? Mini's always had the size and also if they were over size.
The only details I can see on the Big end bearings are: 7664219 & B in a circle & 7K.

Also anyway of determining the size of the rings?

I need to get a load of parts ordered.

Attachments

• IMG_9375.JPG
    IMG_9375.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9376.JPG
    IMG_9376.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Well done on getting them out Sean. I believe they are called EZ outs. I have read up on them before, people have commented before about them saying the only problem is they can shatter inside the bolt/screw and making it even harder to get the screws out then as EZ outs are harden and impossible to then drill out. They are probably the cheap ones you can get off ebay though, I wouldn't expect you to be using the cheap ones though.(y)

On the bearings you can get oversized ones but unless the crank has been machined why would? Not really my area of expertise but I just purchased standard big end bearings with two holes in them, which I assume yours has because your engine is from the same model car as mine which is a Polish built 126 EL. Have you noticed the date stamps on it?

Tony

There is one on the top of the cylinder head as below by the left hand spark plug and I am pretty sure there is one on the back of the bell housing. So in this case 97 and it has the little clock face where they stamp the month on with a punch.

Apparently these late engines should push the top speed up to nearly 70mph.:eek:

I assume it came with a carb? Does it have the cutout valve on it, to prevent running on, it has a spade connector on it?

bd8e88b49bdbe15227f72cd90b9a2042_zps39e9bf82.jpg

Cheers Tony for the 650 crankcase with the hole for a dizzy.
Head bolts are out, it all looks ok, just got to get it cleaned now.
I must admit I am getting a little tired of all this greasy, oily & mucky stuff.
I much prefer cutting, welding & grinding metal. Although I am sure my neighbours are glad for the peace & quiet. Little do they know there is a 500D waiting to be started!
devil.gif

Still not much more to do now before its bodywork time again
thumb.gif

No problem Sean. Did you get that fuel pump rod out alright? I was going to cut it with a little Dremmel cutting disk in the middle, where whatever daft heavy handed person had tried to pull it out but ran out of time before I had to go out.

I didn't get time tonight, will do it tomorrow night. Probably cut it with my mini grinder, ah metal & sparks.
That is so strange how that got bent, can't understand why someone would do that. Going to need a good clean, was wondering if to take it to an engine machine shop and see if they can put it in their cleaner. They usually have a high temperature degreasing unit that gets everything off.

I don't know it defies believe when you think how easy it is to take out.

I was going to get it cleaned if I used it, someone suggested soda blasting is the way to go with aluminium.

I have just realised Sean!!!

I take it you know you need to source a camshaft for that 650 engine crankcase as the one in the original engine won't have the cam for the distributor? Or put it another way mine didn't, you maybe lucky????

:doh: Thanks for that Tony, I have just ran out to the garage to check. Mine doesn't have the dizzy drive either. Looks like I now need a camshaft.

Ahhhh its getting worse!
cry.gif

Yeah the standard one is too expensive fortunately. I guess you can look on the bright side really you didn't pay a lot for the engine.

I paid £250.00 for the engine and gearbox then since I have spent another £300.00 + to rebuild it.

Don't forget you are going to need 500 driveshafts as the 126 ones are too long for the 500. Also do you have the starter with the solenoid? If so and you plan on using it you need to buy the heater tunnel for the 126 that has a dent in it to allow for the solenoid.

Tony

Just finishing my list of parts for Axel Gerstl.
Has anyone had any experience with brake lines (pipe) & also hoses?
what type should I order - long or short nipples? and no rude answers please.

I think they might be long ones Sean. I would check with them what the flares are..that's where I got caught out as the early ones had a mixture of types and you will want them all to have the "bubble" flare. I ended up with a set which was mainly double flare. Still no help to you but you do well to take care which you order,

Nice to be ordering brakes...you must be really getting somewhere.:)

Cheers Peter,
I need to get some parts ordered, but despite tempting Fred with some future orders, he will only give 10% discount on single orders over 1250 euros.
So i have had to increase my order to take advantage of it.
Therefore i am ordering everything for engine, brakes, steering, suspension, cables, bumpers & nudgebars (oohh) etc, so this should provide me with all the parts required to finish various parts & once the body is finished i will be able to get the mechanics all back together apart from a gearbox!
That should keep me busy for a few months.

I think i will go for the copper long nipple pipes and the set of hoses. Slightly dearer than the basic complete kit but probably worth it in the long run.

Cor, that's some order Sean. Hold fire until someone confirms the nipples though. You will never be done ordering bits as Tony and me can verify. You think you have everything covered then :bang:, another load of bits becomes necessary.

Yeah I think that is pretty much the deal I got, 10% on my order last year I think on £1000.00 spend.

True what Peter says I think I had at least another 5 orders, thinking about it probably more with a couple from some of the Dutch sites.

I have been rather thorough with my list, as I have stripped everything down and listed what I need. I know there will be a few items which I may decide to renew later but I have kept this order tight to the 1250 as I know my next order which will be all the interior & trims, gearbox parts if required, lights, carpet etc will also come in around 1250. Handy that as I will get another 10% off.?

Missed the question about the nipples!!! I bought everything for the long nipples.

I got the non copper pipes but they are a bugger to bend and you do need to manipulate the pipes into some really bendy little shapes, I was fortunate as I kept the old ones as a template so I could roughly get them in the right shape beforehand.

Tony, did you buy the kit which Fred lists? Steel pipes & the hoses?
I like your thinking Tony, I also removed my pipes carefully and kept them just in case.
Were the pipes the right length? I was thinking of buying a roll of pipe and make my own.

Back