Fluorescent light tubes.

Currently reading:
Fluorescent light tubes.

Ok folks, here's a question for those of you with "domestic" electrical/electronic knowledge.

I've recently replaced one of my 5ft twin tube fluorescent fittings in my garage with an LED one, and I'm very pleased with the new light. The old fitting appears to have failed because there's something at fault in the ballast power unit - this fitting does not have a separate starter cartridge. The old batten unit is going to the recycling dump but I'm left with two 5ft tubes from it which look serviceable. Ie, no signs of any visual defects and no excessive blackening at the end of the tubes. What I'm wondering is, could it have been an internal - and therefore invisible - fault with one, or both of the tubes which caused the fitting to fail?

My thinking behind this is that I have another twin tube 5ft fitting at the other end of the garage over my workbench and a single tube in the kitchen. It would be nice if these two tubes from the scrap unit could be used as spares for the other two fittings but I'm worried I may swap them over only for one of these other units to go "pop" just like the one in the garage did?

IMHO it is very very unlikely that your two/more spare tubes from an old failed unit are likely to every damage and other unit they are put into.

Fluorescent strip lights basically have 3 failure points. (in ascending likelihood/practice)

1) tube is duff / end of life - heaters / catodes etc all at end of life
2) starter failure
3) ballast transformer burnt out

From what you have described the 3) above, whilst rare, is the cause of your failure.

I would have no hesitation in using those working tubes in another strip light. You will get some welcome continued service till other failures occur and then you can go down the full LED replacement route.

IMHO it is very very unlikely that your two/more spare tubes from an old failed unit are likely to every damage and other unit they are put into.

Fluorescent strip lights basically have 3 failure points. (in ascending likelihood/practice)

2) starter failure

From what you have described the 3) above, whilst rare, is the cause of your failure.

I would have no hesitation in using those working tubes in another strip light. You will get some welcome continued service till other failures occur and then you can go down the full LED replacement route.

Thanks very much. That gives me confidence to keep them as spares for the other battens. I like the LED lights very much - was sorting out some small drill sizes earlier tonight and was surprised to find it noticeably easier to see the markings under the LED light compared to the fluorescent one over my workbench! I'll likely change the other garage batten when these tubes are used up, if not sooner. The "gentler" light from the fluorescent in the kitchen is fine as it is so I'll probably only change it when I can't buy tubes any more. (if I last that long!)

unless the tubes are going a bit black at one/either end, they should be OK to keep for spares. Little in them to cause the fitting to fail, so worth hanging on to them if they don't have discoloured ends or flicker when used, as flourescent tubes are getting harder to source now, and will become harder still soon, as they are phased out. (you can get led tubes for the fittings though, so no need to scrap them)
Have just swapped my workshop lights for led, and am well pleased at the 'whiter' light which is more useful when using machinery, etc. (also, use far less leccy than the tubes too!! win-win) (y)

2) starter failure

Oh dear! I think my cathodes are failing looking at my typo errors highlighted above above. Replace 'every' with 'ever', 'ascending' with 'descending', 'catodes' with 'cathodes' ........ :)

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back