Technical 'Flood'gate

Currently reading:
Technical 'Flood'gate

So here you say go in at 40 if it's up to the doors, then this...

So which is it fella?

I said go in at 40 with a nose up attitude. I said DON'T go in at 50 and slow down.

What is it about people on this forum accusing people of saying things they're not actually saying :)

What is it about people on this forum accusing people of saying things they're not actually saying :)

Like I said go in with a nose up attitude. Go in at 50 and brake before you hit the water and wave goodbye to your bumper
The only modifications made to a World Rally Car is a flap to close the intake off while they're going through the water. Nothing else.

I said go in at 40 with a nose up attitude. I said DON'T go in at 50 and slow down.

Make your mind up! ;)

And just to re-cap (again) these were the bits I objected to:

I've always found driving through as fast as possible is the best course of action. Best done in a straight line as an aquaplaning car doesn't corner well at all. There is a dip near home where you could about a foot of water when it rains heavily for a while and I used to just go in at about 40 or so and the water would all be thrown to the side of the car. Just be warned that if you slow down your engine bay is full of water

Well I'm not talking about 2 feet of water. Lets be honest if it's that deep you're best off not going through. I'm talking about water up to the bottom of the doors If you through slowly you'll find water gets into the engine bay. If the puddle isn't too long going through at speed you won't get any water in the engine bay at all.
Airbags going off LOL Umm that's not going to happen.You're not hitting a wall of water here you know.
The funny thing is in rallying what is done is doing it at speed and lifting off shortly before the water and then flooring it to get a nose up attitude on the car and powering through.

Water goes out to the side of the car and everyone's happy.

You do know that you are not actually driving a rally car don't you?

:confused:

Make your mind up! ;)

And just to re-cap (again) these were the bits I objected to:

You do know that you are not actually driving a rally car don't you?

:confused:
Stop being and idiot I said

"Go in at 50 and brake before you hit the water and wave goodbye to your bumper"

This isn't a thread about how to lose your bumper. It's a thread about how NOT to damage your car. Stop twisting my words and get a life......

Stop being and idiot I said

"Go in at 50 and brake before you hit the water and wave goodbye to your bumper"

This isn't a thread about how to lose your bumper. It's a thread about how NOT to damage your car. Stop twisting my words and get a life......

OK this was funny....Now it's just annoying....

So let me get this straight....

You are telling people to plough into a foot of standing water at 40-50mph to PREVENT damage to their car?

OK I got it now....I don't need to twist your words any further....You did that all by yourself.

And you call me an idiot....:rolleyes:

OK this was funny....Now it's just annoying....

So let me get this straight....

You are telling people to plough into a foot of standing water at 40-50mph to PREVENT damage to their car?

OK I got it now....I don't need to twist your words any further....You did that all by yourself.

And you call me an idiot....:rolleyes:
Yes because going through a big puddle slowly helped the OP :rolleyes:

It doesn't take much water being in the engine bay for water to start getting splashed further up towards the air intake on a standard car. If you go in with the nose up you'll get less water in the engine bay.

You really should go back to bed and get out the correct side again mate :)

I called you and idiot because you quoted my post and tried to make out that I was saying that people should drive in at 50 and brake. Which I clearly didn't say....

Yes because going through a big puddle slowly helped the OP :rolleyes:

The OP has a GSR fitted with a low-down intake....This is why the water stopped him....Not because he was going slowly.

If you go in with the nose up you'll get less water in the engine bay

It worries me that you actually believe this is the correct way to drive through water.

You really should go back to bed and get out the correct side again mate :)

Funnily enough, you are the one who has been throwing insults around. I can actually argue with someone without resorting to that.

I called you and idiot because you quoted my post and tried to make out that I was saying that people should drive in at 50 and brake. Which I clearly didn't say....

All I did was quote you....If your posts are confusing it's down to you. :confused:

Maxi, what planet are you on?

I'm talking from Earth, but you appear to be speaking from Uranus.

Read the post he quoted and says I'm saying that you SHOULD go into a puddle at 50mph and then brake. Does it actually say that I think that is the right thing to do as he says?

It worries me that you actually believe this is the correct way to drive through water.

I'm wondering if there is some confusion between what I'm talking about going through and what you're talking about.

I'm talking about going through something perhaps 20m in length and a foot deep. If you've got a bit of speed there is no bow wave. Of course if it's more like when Top Gear tried to cross that river in Botswana then there's no doubt that slow and steady is the only way to go and even that won't always work. Sometimes it's just best not to go through water at all.

and i'm wondering at what point the slanging will stop....no i don't care who started it, who said what, or why....so i don't have to pull the thread.......

No probs. I just don't like having words put in my mouth. I hope you can understand that. I'll take no further part in this thread as I've no intention of seeing it pulled because of me.

driving at speed through water is never a good thing, there are lots of things to be ripped off modern cars and lots of electrical things that will go wrong with even the slightest bit of water ingress

and i'm wondering at what point the slanging will stop....no i don't care who started it, who said what, or why....so i don't have to pull the thread.......

I didn't really see it as a slanging match, but in the cold light of day maybe it was so I'll stop too.

Suffice to say I will be approaching any standing water with caution, high revs, and steady momentum....(y)

No probs. I just don't like having words put in my mouth. I hope you can understand that. I'll take no further part in this thread as I've no intention of seeing it pulled because of me.

I didn't really see it as a slanging match, but in the cold light of day maybe it was so I'll stop too.

Suffice to say I will be approaching any standing water with caution, high revs, and steady momentum....(y)

:woot:

After almost seven weeks, Grizzly lives! New engine fitted and standard airbox. Should I refit the GSR, obviously bein more careful around water, to the point of OCD haha. Or buy my Panda a rubber ring, armbands and a snorkel?

That or you could buy a 406. They're fine in water :p

DSC_5124.jpg

Back