Technical 'Flood'gate

Currently reading:
Technical 'Flood'gate

Hello everyone. Finally had a piece of news on the drowned grizzly, and it's disastrous. It needs a new engine! Bent valves, wrecked pistons and conrods etc.

Insurance won't be paying for this due to the way the damage was caused so I have to :bang:

Just a word to anyone considering buying a GSR, (like you need telling after what I've experienced :rolleyes:) if you're going to try and cross a crossable sized puddle or flood, disconnect the kit from the inlet temporarily. Or find another way. I know I should have known better myself but maybe the kit should carry a small reminder or warning?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that GP :cry::cry::cry::cry:

When the beast is repaired will you be keeping it ?
And are you still looking at giving it swimming lessons ?
thinking2.gif

I know someone who might be able to help you out with making a snorkle.

Trev

Haha yeah I may just have to engage in a project to make it the first amphibious 100HP :D

If I can stump up the dinheiro to pay for the repair I will hang on to it, but worst comes to the worst, Fiat will have to have it back :cry:

Then I may have to attempt to lease one...:idea:

I know, it wasn't at any speed though, just for the record I was crawling through it as anyone would.

Going to be an insurance claim :cry:

I've always found driving through as fast as possible is the best course of action. Best done in a straight line as an aquaplaning car doesn't corner well at all. There is a dip near home where you could about a foot of water when it rains heavily for a while and I used to just go in at about 40 or so and the water would all be thrown to the side of the car. Just be warned that if you slow down your engine bay is full of water :)

I've always found driving through as fast as possible is the best course of action. Best done in a straight line as an aquaplaning car doesn't corner well at all. There is a dip near home where you could about a foot of water when it rains heavily for a while and I used to just go in at about 40 or so and the water would all be thrown to the side of the car. Just be warned that if you slow down your engine bay is full of water :)

Do not try this at home kids! :rolleyes:

If you've only got one choice of road it's probably still your best bet though :) Just going through at walking pace isn't necessarily the best option as the OP has shown :)

The OP had a problem due to his low intake which would have happened regardless of speed.....But ploughing into water at 40mpg isn't going to scatter the water sideways if there is any reasonable amount....It ccould create a big bow wave which could get into much higher places (ie standard intake position) and electrics and all sorts....Not too mention the actual resistance of the water which could bring you to a fairly abrupt halt and set off your airbags and then you really would be in trouble....:rolleyes:

Maxi, this goes against advice you will find anywhere else. I've had problems hitting puddles at speed, once sending a bow wave over the bonnet of my Mondeo and we literally couldn't see for a few seconds - which can never be a good thing.

The harder you hit it, the more you will splash water around and the higher the chances it'll get in where you don't want it. The standard advice is low speed, revs up and go steady.

Maxi, this goes against advice you will find anywhere else. I've had problems hitting puddles at speed, once sending a bow wave over the bonnet of my Mondeo and we literally couldn't see for a few seconds - which can never be a good thing.

The harder you hit it, the more you will splash water around and the higher the chances it'll get in where you don't want it. The standard advice is low speed, revs up and go steady.

:yeahthat:

The OP had a problem due to his low intake which would have happened regardless of speed.....But ploughing into water at 40mpg isn't going to scatter the water sideways if there is any reasonable amount....It ccould create a big bow wave which could get into much higher places (ie standard intake position) and electrics and all sorts....Not too mention the actual resistance of the water which could bring you to a fairly abrupt halt and set off your airbags and then you really would be in trouble....:rolleyes:

Well I'm not talking about 2 feet of water. Lets be honest if it's that deep you're best off not going through. I'm talking about water up to the bottom of the foors :) If you through slowly you'll find water gets into the engine bay. If the puddle isn't too long going through at speed you won't get any water in the engine bay at all.

Airbags going off :) LOL Umm that's not going to happen.You're not hitting a wall of water here you know.

The funny thing is in rallying what is done is doing it at speed and lifting off shortly before the water and then flooring it to get a nose up attitude on the car and powering through.

PICT1672.JPG

Water goes out to the side of the car and everyone's happy.

In rallying the cars are set up with skid plates and deflectors for the specific purpose of tackling water and muck, none of this applies to a road car.
If you hit a puddle deep enough at 40mph, as you are suggesting, you even stand a chance of ripping your front bumper, radiator and all sorts of bits off.

In rallying the cars are set up with skid plates and deflectors for the specific purpose of tackling water and muck, none of this applies to a road car.
If you hit a puddle deep enough at 40mph, as you are suggesting, you even stand a chance of ripping your front bumper, radiator and all sorts of bits off.

Like I said go in with a nose up attitude. Go in at 50 and brake before you hit the water and wave goodbye to your bumper :)

The only modifications made to a World Rally Car is a flap to close the intake off while they're going through the water. Nothing else.

Hello everyone. Finally had a piece of news on the drowned grizzly, and it's disastrous. It needs a new engine! Bent valves, wrecked pistons and conrods etc.

Insurance won't be paying for this due to the way the damage was caused so I have to :bang:

Just a word to anyone considering buying a GSR, (like you need telling after what I've experienced :rolleyes:) if you're going to try and cross a crossable sized puddle or flood, disconnect the kit from the inlet temporarily. Or find another way. I know I should have known better myself but maybe the kit should carry a small reminder or warning?

i would have thought seeing a rover with out a gsr kit had already broke down in front of you was warning enough:rolleyes:

It's not a trollfest....It's just I happen to object to two points of view that you insist are correct when they clearly aren't....:confused:

Clearly aren't? What evidence do you have to suggest that?

I'm not suggesting you drive through something like this at full whack

THat's just dumb....

Last edited:

So here you say go in at 40 if it's up to the doors, then this...

306maxi said:
Like I said go in with a nose up attitude. Go in at 50 and brake before you hit the water and wave goodbye to your bumper :)

So which is it fella?

Back