Technical Flood Nightmare!

Currently reading:
Technical Flood Nightmare!

minimad99

Driver Extraordinaire
As the title says really I had a nightmare in the recent floods on my way home from work at 0100 in the morning a few days ago.

I came round a bend on a B road and some t@&t was coming straight at me with full beams on so i was dazzled, i then hit about a foot or more of flood water that drowned the entire car :eek:

Amazingly I kept the revs up and managed to continue through with no problems or fault beeps but............................ my drivers side headlilght is now pointing at the floor.

Yesterday I stripped out all the bulbs and dried off the water inside the assempbly with a hairdryer and refitted. My first thought was that the bulb had just moved from its correct seating position but it was fine.

The allignment motor was making a high pitched squeek but this stopped when tapped and some water came out of it. It then started buzzing as it does when you adjust the beam from the dash.

After last nights test nothing has changed, to clarify:
all bulbs are good and seated correctly,
no water or condensation in lens affecting beam pattern,
passenger side fine.

However, when pressing the adjustment button on dash both headlight motors buzz then stop as they should but no movement in either.

I'm thinking that maybe the drivers side adjuster thingey has been pushed down and is jammed but would this effect the passenger side?
maybe it's broken?
I don't know how they work, does the bulb move or the round thing in front of the headlight bulb?

Maybe it just needs manual adjustment? how do you do that?

Some tech advice would be greatly received as i'm gonna try and remove the unit today and check it over more thoroughly.
Sorry for the long post but the more info I give should help the knowledgable ones!:D

cheers

Neil

John,
I am fully aware that there are previous threads re the motors, I posted this thread as I do not know of the motors are the main fault and wanted peoples advice on other areas to check.

The gush of water has been known to make the adjuster motor popper simply disconnect

256eq.jpg
The lights are held on a panel that is hinged at the top so the whole lot swings backwards and forwards within the headlight.

22x8fe.jpg
The adjuster motor simply pop connects to the panel. So with a bit of luck you may be able to pop it back in again
23x3gn.jpg
If you have to remove it then it's held in place with these two screws

Last edited:
Thanks Decks for the useful post.

I have removed both light clusters and found that the n/s had popped off as you describe, weird as that one was bone dry, anyhow.
the o/s motor maybe dead, i managed to strip ot out and clean the circuit board, it did spin into live twice but has gone again.
Gonna give it another clean and try again in a minute.

What i have managed to do even if it is dead is to extend the little arm that pops into the cluster by operating the gears manually hence pushing the arm out so it matches the n/s one. at least they'll be the same even if one doesn't work. I'm not paying £50 for a new one the car is not worth it now, 02 plate and 120,000+miles.

will update later

headlight adjuster motors
VW part number is 1J0 941 295A.
And there Under £30 each. Bolt and plug strate in.

Good luck

Leighton

Back