General Fitted my Xenons..Heres How

Currently reading:
General Fitted my Xenons..Heres How

I didnt need to drill anything anywhere. there are only two very small thin wire which have to go through the casing. and they actualy fit past it when closing the casing with no problem at all.

and as for turning it to a guide. is it worth it. or better to just leave it here? as it is still findable using 'Search'
i dont mind either way. as long as people find it helpful.

Without wanting to contradict you Coyle...i was able to change the indicators - (not tried the fogs) without removing the clusters...maybe some of my engine is missing!

hmm your xenons look very nice....how much did they set you back and does it illuminate the roadbetter at night?

must of been a tight squeeze. i wouldn't fancy trying it..if i wanted to keep all my fingers lol

the kit was £75 delivered. and the road illumination is much better. the colour makes alot of difference. can see much further

must of been a tight squeeze. i wouldn't fancy trying it..if i wanted to keep all my fingers lol

the kit was £75 delivered. and the road illumination is much better. the colour makes alot of difference. can see much further

LOL, i must have small hands!

Nice one mate thanks for the information...I will look into doing this when my current bulbs blow.

and as for turning it to a guide. is it worth it. or better to just leave it here? as it is still findable using 'Search'
i dont mind either way. as long as people find it helpful.
Yes, this section is not to be used for Guides, that is what the Guides section is for :)

I thought all members with factory fit Xenons reported their headlamp reflector was quite different to Stilo halogen headlamps :confused:

For starters, you lose the fog light from the lamp assembly and I presume there's a reason for that :chin:

To clarify, I have factory fit Xenons on my JTD. Dipped beam has a patterned lenses in front of the bulbs, which take up space in the lamp cluster leaving no room for front fogs below the indicator. You also loose the headlamp level adjuster buttons to the right of the steering wheel as xenons are self leveling, but gain headlamp washers - legal requirement I believe!

The collar on the indicator stalk has an A - automatic position to activate the daylight sensor switching of the dipped beam. Not sure if this is Xenon only or a general option with either type of headlights. You cant use main beam on Auto though, have to turn the collar through off & sidelights to the other dipped beam position to get main beam!

Other thing I discovered when upgrading mains to Extreme +80's is that they're H7's and NOT H1's per handbook etc! Yes Xenon's are on Dipped beam only, main beam is just a standard bulb and mine had 'yellowed' in their 3.5 - 4 years fitted to the car.

20 months & 33+ K on would comment that the beam pattern is so clear and crisp on dipped beam with the factory Xenons that front fogs are of little consequence or value. Uprating your main beam is essential though as stock H7's mains look pathetic versus factory Xenons. I went Phillips Extreme +80%'s which get the Auto Express (y) and complement the factory Xenons very well but would also consider Osram Nightbreakers as a more cost effective alternative.

Previous 1.6 had standard front lights and I uprated dipped & mains with Halfords Brilliance +50%'s, again highly rated by Auto Express. The difference is +50% (best available Autumn '05 when fitted) on the 1.6 gave a lot more light to illuminate the road ahead but the JTD's Xenon's subtley pick out detail at an amazing range without flooding the road with light giving much more clarity. The Extreme 80's add a lot of light in between & ahead of the Xenons ;)

Nice guide/thread thought coyle... will no doubt refer to it when I get round to fitting fresh sidelight bulds which have been in my garage forever! 2 on nearside discoloured/dim for some reason :(

Last edited:
I havent upgraded my full beam or fogs at this time. but with the xenons on, the fogs make basically no dofference, and full beam is only higher, so again not a massive difference.
one thing i have noticed is I can have the xenons and fogs on at the same time. or xenons and full beams. but if i try and put all 3 on then the xenons(dipped beam) turns off. is this the case with the standard dipped beam as i never noticed it before? or is this something which has just started happening with the new HID's?

Summing up the posts from this thread it seems Coyle has produced a nice guide on how to change headlamp bulbs (y) without buying a box of sticky plasters ;) but unfortunately has gone on to show how to make your Stilo completely illegal :(

Some of the HID kits available, typically off eBay, look decidedly dodgy. Reading some of the (bad) feedback seems to indicate that companies in China produce packaging containing well known branded logos which are nothing but copies :eek: so it's easy to see how people get conned.

I dont see what is so illegal about them? i went to my local mot centre. and had them leveled. and they aren't blinding to oncoming traffic.
i fail to see the problem with them myself?
the guy i got them from was english. had 1000+ feedback.
personally cant complain

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hid-Xenon-Con...ryZ72235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not a single negative feedback..cant be all bad

what is it that makes them illegal?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The pictures of the beam patterns i put shows why the are obviously illegal. Download the links also i put and you will see even the science behind the arcs of the two to see why they are so different. I had decided to stick to halogen since the cost of factory xenons after i bought the car wasnt worth putting them so i changed my halogen bulbs for Philip New Vision and got a slightly more whitish clearer beam.

I have seen the aftermarket xenons and im not pleased with them. THe factory takes into consideration the xenon transformers would have on the rest of the system (dont forget xenon needs thousands of volts to work) some users have reported problems with this interference with aftermarket ones.

In addition in case of a emergency which you might have to show your brights real quick usually the aftermarket take a couple seconds to do that. i see this as a safety hazard.

Last edited:
The pictures of the beam patterns i put shows why the are obviously illegal. Download the links also i put and you will see even the science behind the arcs of the two to see why they are so different. I had decided to stick to halogen since the cost of factory xenons after i bought the car wasnt worth putting them so i changed my halogen bulbs for Philip New Vision and got a slightly more whitish clearer beam.

I have seen the aftermarket xenons and im not pleased with them. THe factory takes into consideration the xenon transformers would have on the rest of the system (dont forget xenon needs thousands of volts to work) some users have reported problems with this interference with aftermarket ones.

In addition in case of a emergency which you might have to show your brights real quick usually the aftermarket take a couple seconds to do that. i see this as a safety hazard.

In an emergency where i needed bright light instantly, i wouldnt twist on dipped beam anyway. i would flash my full beam lights...wouldnt anyone else?

Surely you could purchase the xenon headlight shells/casings from Fiat and put a set of H7 Hids in, thus making them road legal?:confused: Of course this may affect the light patterns of the other bulbs within the headlights!!:eek:

Last edited:
that would be the ideal situation if you can get your hands on some second hand xenon fixtures. Unfortunently here in greece not alot of people got a xenon kit to look in the scrapes. TO be honest ive only seen 2 in our club.

Back