General First post

Currently reading:
General First post

could find an engine for that, my punto75 engine was less than £150 and that had only done 50k and was mint. then fitting is straight forward, apart from the exhaust pipe needing extending, its a bolt for bolt swap. eeeaassssy.

:D

Maybe if I speak your language you will understand it better Ross, as I see it (no offence here bud BTW) an 899 Cinq compared to a 1242 Cinq is like

Coupe 16V NA to a 20VT!

Liam

how easy is it to fit the 1242 engine in a SPI sei?? know there is lots in the sticky, but only relates to cinq?? is it much hassle?? what insurance group does it bring hte car up to?

its exactly the same to fit it in an spi sei, and it won't put it into an insurance group, it'd be declared a modification - you'd have to ask the insurers what it'd bring it up to

h2ypr said:
I know there is a turbo conversion. was just looking for details. I was thinkin more along the lines of getting the cam honed by piper or something.... (i presume single cam).

Who is the forum member that sells the chip? and i remember seeing a thread on it before? Anyone got a link?

Ross

First of all forget Piper.

The torque difference between the 1108 and the 1242 gives mid range about 12% more power. A 1242 engine you can get in good condition often for less then £150. Belt and tensione is well under £30. Further modifications on the engine allow you in the region of 90bhp after re-mapping.

Fitting it is quite easy.

Alternatively you can fit the 75 engine, which won't cost you a lot more. The MPI is a good start for quite a bit more power. With induction kit, t/b modification, exhaust and re-map will see you in excess of 90bhp. Further modifications will see you a driveable 110bhp.

If you want to go further you can fit a 16v too, depending on the money you want spend giving you in excess of 120bhp.

The 110bhp Cinquecento 1108 engine n/a conversion is not impossible but it will cost a fair sum and isn't fun to drive on a daily basis.

I spoke to the guy who done the 110bhp cinq 1108 and its not actually that difficult. Probably looking at about £1200 for the engine work. Thats roughly. from 54bhp to 110bhp.

Now £300 for an engine, £300 fitting gives me 6bhp more to work with. Thats half the budget to get to 110bhp with a 1108.

Ross

How driveable?

Well i dont see it being worse than a turbo if thats what ya mean. At the end of the day, there is a still a throttle cable. N/a = power not available till high revs. So just keep the revs low. :D

In all honesty im just trying to see the best option. I have a good little 1108 engine here and if its possible to get that kinda power through it without a turbo then why not? As old school said 90bhp through the 1242 without a turbo. Ok the same work can be done to the 1242 yes, but will it be as effective? I just know that there is a guy who has done it and it worked well.

Ross

the small turbos used on the cinqs come on boost very low down the rev range. you could buy the turbo engine in the classifieds today and its all done ;)
as i said its your money but i dont see the snse in starting with the 1108 when you get more starting with the 1242 as your base

custard boy said:
the small turbos used on the cinqs come on boost very low down the rev range. you could buy the turbo engine in the classifieds today and its all done ;)
as i said its your money but i dont see the snse in starting with the 1108 when you get more starting with the 1242 as your base

I know what ya mean dude... how much is the turbo engine in classifieds? Im kinda wanting high power and then again im not really. Not being disrespectful, but i got the coupe for all out power. So its not like i need every bhp to count. But i know why your saying the 1242 engine.

Ross

h2ypr said:
I spoke to the guy who done the 110bhp cinq 1108 and its not actually that difficult. Probably looking at about £1200 for the engine work. Thats roughly. from 54bhp to 110bhp.

Now £300 for an engine, £300 fitting gives me 6bhp more to work with. Thats half the budget to get to 110bhp with a 1108.

Ross

The 1242 conversion isn't about power - its about torque ;) Also, having a bucketload of power is nothing unless its driveable power and you can use it effectively :)

h2ypr said:
I know what ya mean dude... how much is the turbo engine in classifieds? Im kinda wanting high power and then again im not really. Not being disrespectful, but i got the coupe for all out power. So its not like i need every bhp to count. But i know why your saying the 1242 engine.

Ross
go look in the classifeds.price would be around your budget which is a bargain for what it is:slayer:

I have been given an offer i cant refuse possibly. I can possibly get a full punto sporting for cheap. They have more bhp than the normal 16v!

ROss

It was a hassle for the bhp difference. Changing the engine now is a good option because i can use/sell the 1108. I know about the alternator clearance and the headlight clearance. Anything else to worry about?

Ross

fuel, pressure and delivery.
you're going to need the 16v's ECU, wiring loom etc
and a pump capable of more than 1bar. Tom is looking into this atm, i'll see if hes on msn and get him in here.

I have the full punto available.... a rear end smash one!

Ross

Back