General First post

Currently reading:
General First post

h2ypr

500 + 600
Hey guys..... due to robs OUTSTANDING display at donny i have decided to follow in the cento boys footsteps.

Few questions....

1. Is anyone selling a fuel tank?
2. What is the tuning differences between the 1.1 sporting engine and the 1.2 punto engine? The punto engine would be heavier i would imagine.
3. Is there a turbo conversion for the 1.1?
4. Do camshafts have a major difference to the 1.1?
5. Does anyone do a superchip for the 1.1 that is proven safe?

Appreciate any responses! :cool:

Ross

I know there is a turbo conversion. was just looking for details. I was thinkin more along the lines of getting the cam honed by piper or something.... (i presume single cam).

Who is the forum member that sells the chip? and i remember seeing a thread on it before? Anyone got a link?

Ross

good choice ;)

1. Fuel tanks were replaced under recall, you might be able to get it done by FIAT still.
2. The 1242 engine has a slightly longer stroke 72mm vs 78.8mm, and 0.8mm bigger bore. The earlier 1242 engine (176.A7) has smaller inlet valves 30.5mm vs 31.5mm. The later punto60 engine (174.B4) has the same size valves. Not sure how much more it weighs, the crank is beefier for sure.
3. Yes, there is a turbo conversion, check the Turbo FAQ :)
4. Cams do make a difference, common cam transplant is to get a cam from the punto75.
5. Yes, mckrich has developed a chip - and ive been using it for over a year now. Worked nicely on my 1108cc, and on the 1242cc too.

arc said:
good choice ;)

1. Fuel tanks were replaced under recall, you might be able to get it done by FIAT still.
2. The 1242 engine has a slightly longer stroke 72mm vs 78.8mm, and 0.8mm bigger bore. The earlier 1242 engine (176.A7) has smaller inlet valves 30.5mm vs 31.5mm. The later punto60 engine (174.B4) has the same size valves. Not sure how much more it weighs, the crank is beefier for sure.
3. Yes, there is a turbo conversion, check the Turbo FAQ :)
4. Cams do make a difference, common cam transplant is to get a cam from the punto75.
5. Yes, mckrich has developed a chip - and ive been using it for over a year now. Worked nicely on my 1108cc, and on the 1242cc too.

How do i go about getting it done by fiat? Just get any punto 75 cam? Best from second hand or from fiat? I reckon the difference in weight outweighs (like that there! ;)) the power difference. Turbo conversion is down the line. How much is the chip ? Easy to fit? Much difference?

Ross

I reckon the difference in weight outweighs (like that there! ) the power difference.

rubbish :p drive a 1242 cinq and an 1108 cinq and you wont be saying that. the raw bhp difference is only 6bhp, but the 1242 has a lot more torque.

Chip is dead easy to fit, comes with full fitting instructions. They're around £50 i think, makes a good difference, def worth the money.

Get what done by FIAT, eh? 75 cams are cheaper 2nd hand, some of the 176.B4 punto 60 engines have the same cam. its stampped "866". and yeah, single cam - only 8v!

before you do any engine work though, lower it, fit some decent shocks, and some better brakes.

spax psx, and red dot 6 groove discs and fast road pads

arc said:
rubbish :p drive a 1242 cinq and an 1108 cinq and you wont be saying that. the raw bhp difference is only 6bhp, but the 1242 has a lot more torque.

Chip is dead easy to fit, comes with full fitting instructions. They're around £50 i think, makes a good difference, def worth the money.

Get what done by FIAT, eh? 75 cams are cheaper 2nd hand, some of the 176.B4 punto 60 engines have the same cam. its stampped "866". and yeah, single cam - only 8v!

Lol. Listen.

Its gonna be minor the difference. Not worth the extra hassle of removing a 1.1 engine to fit a 1242. Put it this way.

Between the 899 and the 1.1 there aint much difference and alaina is running mega big tyres so i reckon it would be even less. So how is the punto one gonna be that much more. As for the chip, there is one similar for the coupe and its a good starting point. I think i will replace the cam from the punto 75. I meant how do u get the fuel tank done by fiat!

Ross

arc said:
before you do any engine work though, lower it, fit some decent shocks, and some better brakes.

spax psx, and red dot 6 groove discs and fast road pads

Spax are cheap aint they? The cinq calipers gd enough to stop? Is it just the discs and pads that need done?

Ross

h2ypr said:
Lol. Listen.

Its gonna be minor the difference. Not worth the extra hassle of removing a 1.1 engine to fit a 1242. Put it this way.

Between the 899 and the 1.1 there aint much difference and alaina is running mega big tyres so i reckon it would be even less. So how is the punto one gonna be that much more. As for the chip, there is one similar for the coupe and its a good starting point. I think i will replace the cam from the punto 75. I meant how do u get the fuel tank done by fiat!

Ross
torque is your answer

it is worth it, you may know your coupes.. but you don't know your centos :p
fitting a 1242 isnt hassle, its a bolt for bolt swap and a better starting point for a turbo conversion.

spax psx kit is around £400 from motorsportworld, you can fit punto GT calipers if you want. but you need 14" wheels first.

tbh, if theres not much difference between an 899 running huge wheels and a sporting then i dont think the sporting is running properly..

erm, not sure about tank recall. just go and ask them, and then shout at them when they say no

arc said:
it is worth it, you may know your coupes.. but you don't know your centos :p
fitting a 1242 isnt hassle, its a bolt for bolt swap and a better starting point for a turbo conversion.

spax psx kit is around £400 from motorsportworld, you can fit punto GT calipers if you want. but you need 14" wheels first.

tbh, if theres not much difference between an 899 running huge wheels and a sporting then i dont think the sporting is running properly..

erm, not sure about tank recall. just go and ask them, and then shout at them when they say no

The kit wont cost me as much. The boy at MSW owes me big time!!! (I insured him on a supra at 21) ;)

Well the hassle is ...... buying a punto engine (£300 for a goodun, then getting it up to standard (new belts, water pump etc) and then paying someone to change it over. I know a guy who has 110bhp from a 1.1 WITHOUT a turbo. So i dont think i will change it.

Well tell ya what then. I'll give you £200 to get me an engine, fit it in my cinq and then tell alaina that the 1.1 isnt going in her cinq! ;)

Ross

Back