General Seic first car

Currently reading:
General Seic first car

Mortiboy98

Getting a fiat seicento as a first car in a couple days. What are the things I should look out for before throwing money at it?

The bushes in the rear trailing arms are a well known common problem as with the Cinquecentos as underneath they are the same car & can be a right pain in the backside to remove, the bolts are often seized with corrosion & if its like mine was it had to be cut out & then the bush itself won't want to leave home without a fight. You will know if they've gone as there will be a constant bonking from the rear end when driving along or a quick way to tell is to do a bounce test on the rear of the car & you'll hear it. I had a Cinquecento as my first car & the mentioned bushes were gone on both sides, if I had known at the time that it wasn't much more money to replace the whole arm with bush included I would have gone down that route as it would have saved days of much stress & a huge headache.

Also there is a plastic quandrant on the end of the clutch cable behind the clutch pedal which can break & when it does from personal experience its a wise idea to change the clutch cable at the same time as I have known them snap soon after, my own was a few days later.

Other than these little niggles which to be honest is fair wear & tear they are good little cars, if its a sporting they're quite nippy not many Seicentos/Cinquecentos left now at one time they were everywhere.

Back