General Fiat Panda 4th generation (2019)

Currently reading:
General Fiat Panda 4th generation (2019)

The 2003 Panda saved them from bankruptcy, and the 2007 500 has kept them afloat for so long... Why neglect the two models that are keeping them afloat?

Because they can make much more money selling big ass pick up trucks in the USA(y) They just invested a lot of money again in the USA factories. The margins on citycars are really small so I can't really blame them.

It looks like a nice little car, but it's no Panda. Looks more like a budget Mazda 2, probably could compete nicely with the MG3. I think while the Panda is still very popular in Europe, they won't want to mess with the formula too much. Fiat aren't really the daring type, I mean the 500 hasn't changed much since it was launched in 2005/6, and they still seem too scared to make an all new one.

Remove all the bolt on body parts (Bumpers, bonnet, fenders, doors, rear hatch and lights) from the car and you can design a completely different looking car by just designing new bold on parts.

It looks like a nice little car, but it's no Panda. Looks more like a budget Mazda 2, probably could compete nicely with the MG3. I think while the Panda is still very popular in Europe, they won't want to mess with the formula too much. Fiat aren't really the daring type, I mean the 500 hasn't changed much since it was launched in 2005/6, and they still seem too scared to make an all new one.

That's the limitation of going retro, which is the only thing that distinguishes the (small) 500 - if you update the design it's no longer retro. VW has the same problem with the Beetle.

I'm interested in the size of the next Panda. I hope Fiat don't make it too much bigger. The narrow width is brilliant and on a personal level the 3.5m length of the 169 model works for me just fine. And clearly they have managed to shift lots of Pandas and 500s with the current length.

However, unless they can achieve a packaging miracle, I imagine though that they will stretch it to 3.8-3.9 metres, especially if there isn't to be another Punto. Maybe there should be long and short versions, as with Renault Modus.

If it looks like the next car is going to be significantly bigger I think I'll be looking very hard at getting one of the last of the 319 model.

Well here it is:

Obviously a concept but I am cautiously optimistic for the real thing. Styling has some cues of the original Panda (though also the Ignis). Some clever interior solutions promised (neat dashboard!) and 'less is more' philosophy, like the original.

I quite like it.

I hope they keep it quite small though, similar to the current Panda. It is said the concept car is bigger in all dimensions.

Love the fact that, in one of the pics in this article from Autocar, there's a little panda cuddly toy in a storage bin on the dash (the bin looks just like the sliding ashtray from a Mk 1 - but surely not, in these smokeless days?!!)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...fiat-centoventi-ev-concept-previews-new-panda

I really like it. There are some super, fresh design ideas, like the customisable exterior and interior, the removeable roof panels, and the ability to easily add/remove battery packs to achieve the desired range.

Good to see, also, that they are moving away from the current Panda shape, with the smaller 3rd side-window. It's had its day, tbh. Time to move on.

Last edited:
I hope they keep it quite small though, similar to the current Panda. It is said the concept car is bigger in all dimensions.

According to the Autocar article, the length and height are very close to the current Panda, but it's a whopping 20cm wider! :eek:

"The Centoventi is 3680mm long, 1527mm high and 1846mm wide, with a wheelbase of 2430mm."

Presumably, a production version will dispense with the flared wheel arches, which should reduce the overall width, but even so... (According to Google, it's the same width as an A5, and wider than a Pug 5008!)

Last edited:
It's interesting that several reports mention the Ypsilon and Punto as well as the 500 being based on this new architecture. Perhaps we will get new versions of them as well as the 500 and Panda...

Dimensions sound good - pleased it's about the same length. The width is a bit of a shame but the current models are narrower than the current norm, I suppose.

I love the bumpers/wheelarches. An echo of the original Panda's corrugated cladding. I hope also the dashboard survives into production and that it isn't watered down as Citroen's Cactus concept was.

Some great close-up pics in this video (with commentary in Italian)

[ame]https://youtu.be/QZ7edKDHqIc[/ame]

Back