General Panda 4x4 vs Sandero Stepway Comfort 2019

Currently reading:
General Panda 4x4 vs Sandero Stepway Comfort 2019

Wee Rascal

Good evening Panda peeps!

I am here to pick your brains, my hubby thinks I'm a bit daft for considering changing my car already and I need you guys to tell me I'm right ;). Sorry for the epic tome that follows, I'll appreciate anyone hanging in there to read.

I am and have been for ages really drawn to the Panda 4x4 TA but have earlier this year bought a 2019 Dacia Sandero Stepway Comfort petrol when I couldn't find any Panda's within a 200 mile radius at the time of looking. I really needed a car and to be fair I've not had any real issues with the Stepway. A few electrical niggles I'm either living with or ironing out. The car has cruise control and sat nav etc, so decent enough trim level.

I live and work in a rural area, we can see lots of rain/mud on the roads at times as well as snow lying around a bit longer than it would in town. I've previously had an old Suzuki Vitara, my husband has a 4 wheel drive VW and I do have some access to 4x4 work vehicles...but need to be able to get there to be able to use them ;). I can't really tootle around as needed with a work vehicle outside of working hours, so do want to feel secure and that I can get places if and when I need to.

I haven't wintered with the Stepway as yet, but concerned it may struggle if roads get a bit slippy/icy/muddy. That and hearing now that they can get quite rusty body wise and depreciate really quickly. It's currently on summer tyres and likely to need a couple replaced sometime soon.

Before I start contemplating the expense of winter/all season tyres for it, does anyone actually have experience of both vehicles? The thing that probably most irks is that while I have a 2019 Dacia, the equivalent for the Panda 4x4 around the same price bracket is likely around the 2013/14 plate. I know it's just 'numbers' but I don't want to feel like I've been silly considering an older car and possible higher repair bills etc, plus I know that things like cruise control/sat nav won't be in a Panda. The road tax would be cheaper with a Panda, that's a plus! That and I'm sure it would be a fun and game daily driver. I do quite regularly have to drive a 5 hr round trip to Glasgow to see family, so would need to be a decent comfort/economy level. Every little helps these days. Am I getting hung up on the age/price ratio difference between the cars.

I do keep looking around at the Panda's, it's becoming a real itch to scratch! Is it a daft idea to even consider swapping cars without taking the Stepway through a winter? I need the pros to really hammer any cons!

Many on Forum are well pleased with their 4x4 Pandas understandably, at present my Fiats are 2wd , although I have a Skoda Scout 4x4 and one of my daughters has a VW Tiguan 4x4.
A friend's wife in Cornwall had a brand new Dacia 4x4 diesel which broke down shortly after purchase, she has since bought another new one, where they live often gets cut off in bad winter weather, though unlikely to be as bad a Scotland;).
I suspect whatever you drive after a few years rust will be an issue where you are.
What I used to advise my customers was stay with what you have until it starts costing you money.:)

Yes, it probably is a daft idea. Put all seasons on the Stepway and run it, it'll be just fine. If your heart rules your head, best of luck you find a good one.
Thank you, appreciate that. I've sorted out an appointment for the new tyres on Tuesday and will do just that! 🚗 ❄️

Thank you, appreciate that. I've sorted out an appointment for the new tyres on Tuesday and will do just that! 🚗 ❄️
I see there's 3 potential tyre sizes, what's yours running on? I ask as many (most?) of us are running all seasons and you'll likely get some user recommendations re tyres.

Many on Forum are well pleased with their 4x4 Pandas understandably, at present my Fiats are 2wd , although I have a Skoda Scout 4x4 and one of my daughters has a VW Tiguan 4x4.
A friend's wife in Cornwall had a brand new Dacia 4x4 diesel which broke down shortly after purchase, she has since bought another new one, where they live often gets cut off in bad winter weather, though unlikely to be as bad a Scotland;).
I suspect whatever you drive after a few years rust will be an issue where you are.
What I used to advise my customers was stay with what you have until it starts costing you money.:)
Thank you, appreciate your reply. I'd looked into what I'd likely get if selling or trading in the Stepway and can't take such a hit just now. I'll get some decent tyres on and that'll make me feel better anyway. I'll keep admiring the Panda's from afar and get my moneys worth out my current car. I'll definitely have one at some point, just annoyed when I was in the position to buy earlier in the year, couldn't find one anywhere near me.

As my old Granny used to say, "what's for you, won't go by you". :)

I see there's 3 potential tyre sizes, what's yours running on? I ask as many (most?) of us are running all seasons and you'll likely get some user recommendations re tyres.
My OH has found a decent set of 16 inch rims on a salvage site so that I can run a set of winter tyres and a set of summer ones...the tyres I'm getting put on are the Continental TS870. We're quite prone to heavy dumps of snow when we get it, but local farmers tend to be good at clearing it down for better access. So it tends to sit there packed down for longer if you see what I mean. Can try that combination and see how we get on! :)

You're golden then. We ran a MK2 MX5 through the bad winter of 2010* on full winters and it was a hoot. Tyres are pretty much everything, 4wd is a bonus.

*When even us Southern softies had lots of snow

Back