General Fiat Panda 1.1 Active Eco chugging and rough idle / Accelerator clunking

Currently reading:
General Fiat Panda 1.1 Active Eco chugging and rough idle / Accelerator clunking

royalpiano

Hi guys,

I just bought my very first car - a Fiat Panda!! I'm absolutely delighted with it - apart from a few issues.

I was driving on the motorway the other day when all of a sudden the car chugged quite violently and the yellow OEBD light flashed on and then disappeared. This has happened once more since. Since then, I've noticed it idling rough and I can hear that it is revving although there is no rev counter (as you all well know!). I suspect maybe spark plugs are the problem? But, I'm no mechanic whatsoever and I'm a car newbie so I'm open to suggestions!!

My second problem is my accelerator. It makes a very definite clunk noise every time I come off of it - no matter how gently I do it. Could this be something to do with the gearbox mount? This didn't happen initially but has developed in the last 2 weeks since I bought it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm bringing it back to the garage on Friday to get looked at.

All the best! :)

Sounds like a big misfire

It usual takes two cylinders for it to not idle properly. You will ruin the mounts if you continue to drive the car

The clunk is more than likely connect as the engine shakes quite badly running on two cylinders

I take it a pop sound can be heard from the exhaust if you stand at the back of the car

Panda running on 4 cylinders then on 3 cylinders as from the exhaust pipe

Hi Koalar,

Thank you for your reply!! It doesn't sound quite like that, it's more that it sounds as if the revs are rising and it will stay at a higher pitch for a bit and then drop down again. I'll see if I can record a video of the clunking noise that the accelerator is making for you! If I can catch it idling funny I'll record that too. Thank you for your videos though! Helped me to hear the difference between the two more clearly!!

All the best,
Sophie :)

Hi and welcome:)

Did the garage offer any guarantee with the car? If so, best to leave it to them to sort out as the fault has developed so early after purchase. Any tinkering yourself could invalidate any warranty.

If the garage can't or won't sort it for you, then I'm sure the knowledgeable folk on here will help get to the bottom of it.

They're tough little engines, as long as they're maintained. Coolant & oil levels OK?

There is a wiring problem that only effects the 1.1 that can cause misfires.

There seems to be a common wire between the coil and injectors in the loom a short distance from the connector to the ECU that breaks up.

It's well noted on the forum, there are plenty of posts regarding it, like

Hi and welcome:)

Did the garage offer any guarantee with the car? If so, best to leave it to them to sort out as the fault has developed so early after purchase. Any tinkering yourself could invalidate any warranty.

If the garage can't or won't sort it for you, then I'm sure the knowledgeable folk on here will help get to the bottom of it.

They're tough little engines, as long as they're maintained. Coolant & oil levels OK?
Hi!

They did, a 3 month guarantee. He has it at the moment, so I'm just waiting to see now what the story is!

Coolant and oil levels were all good when I checked them!

Thanks so much 😁

Sophie

There is a wiring problem that only effects the 1.1 that can cause misfires.

There seems to be a common wire between the coil and injectors in the loom a short distance from the connector to the ECU that breaks up.

It's well noted on the forum, there are plenty of posts regarding it, like

Thank you!! If he can't fix it I'll mention this to him for sure.

All the best,
Sophie 😄

Back