Technical Fiat Marea Brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Marea Brakes

ArButhnot

Haven't been here for a while. The site's changed a bit since I last came. Nice!

I could do with picking someones brains. When I brake hardish, from high speed or for a long time - for example for a roundabout on a dual carriageway, or down a long hill - the brakes start to make a 'graunching' noise after a while, which I at first took to mean I needed new pads, or that the discs were warped. But the noise goes as soon as I release some of the pressure on the pedal, and it never happens around town or in normal driving. It feels, and sounds, a bit like when the ABS comes on on a snowy road, but I've been driving a few years, and I haven't locked the wheels up too often under braking lately.

Any suggestions? I recently had my front tyres changed. Perhaps a stupid question, but are there any connections that might have come loose to make the ABS come on prematurely?

have you checked your pads and disc's yet?
> but are there any connections that might have come loose to make the ABS come on prematurely?
no loose conections could do that afaik, in most cases if somethings up with the abs the warning light will come on the the system will be deactivated.

uno 1.0ie RAAAWW!

<font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono"><font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono"><font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono">
No, I haven't got the space to do repairs (on street parking only) and I fret about taking the car to a Fiat dealer with a 'strange noise coming from the front end'.
So I'm back with a really stupid question.
Am I right in assuming that the constant grasshopper-like noise I can hear with the window down is the wear indicator on the brakes. It does vary with the road speed. I've tried to see around the back of the wheel on full lock, but the wheel arch is just too full of tyre for that.
Now, how stupid does all this make me sound?

Mad as a fish

Sounds very much like the wear indicator to me, unless its a bearing....
But with your grinding noise too, I reckon you'll be wanting new pads, and probably discs too if this has gone on for a while.

CP

STanibig.gif

I know you're all busting to hear more on this topic, so here's the latest instalment. I went to Halfords and got what I was assured were the correct pad sets for the 2001 Marea. I went to a nearby car park early on Sunday and took a wheel off. The next bit was dead simple - I looked at the brake pads on my car, then at the ones in the box, repeated this a couple of times - they were not even remotely similar. F***!!

One funny thing I noticed - and I took the other wheel off to check. The pads on one wheel weren't bad at all, but the other wheel had one pad a lot thinner than the other - which looked healthy. Could someone tell me if this means that the caliper has seized on that side.

Mad as a fish

Sounds like you might have a problem with the caliper.

Halfords qouted me £270 for front discs and pads, I nearly choked:(. So I am looking to get some drilled and grooved discs for half the price. But back to your problem... They originally quoted me the wrong parts, standard saloon instead of 20v. Now if I was being cynical I would have though, give him the cheap ones and then hit him with the big whammy when he comes back to change them :(

The calipers are screw type and so difficult to repair if you are not mechanically minded, also if you have only been using one side of the disc there is a chance that it could be warped.

One of my rear brakes has also just started wailing when I'm driving, so it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do them all.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

banner3.jpg

Polecat, are the backs low? or are they just singing for the sake of it? Mine have a habit of giving a bit of a whistle when they need cleaning and get hot. Once cleaned up and blown through with an airline they are great for another few thou...

CP

STanibig.gif

Back