Technical Fiat Ducatto 2.8JTD - Brake Carrier holder rubbing after hub bearing replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Ducatto 2.8JTD - Brake Carrier holder rubbing after hub bearing replacement

Hi All

Could really use some help with the below: -

Having issues with my brake carrier holder rubbing on the disc as per the enclosed photos. This has happened after replacing the front wheel bearing.

As you can see the front is tight up against the disc.

Brake 3.jpg

Loads of space at the rear though

brake 2.jpg

I asked my local garage to push out the hub/bearing. Could this be because the bearing or the hub have been fitted incorrectly or I have sourced the wrong bearing?

I have never had this issue before and it has got me scratching my head, it's only around 1mm of clearance I need. it's like the hub hasn't been pushed in a far enough maybe?

Thanks for reading.
Darren

Last edited:
Hi, have you tightened the central hub nut yet?

Tightening the hub nut pulls the hub and cv joint together pulling the hub into correct position in bearing.

I have tightened the hub nut as tight as possible. Don’t think I have made the full 400nM though as yet.
Have taken everything apart again and the bearing is fully home in the hub.
Can’t see how there is still no clearance and not sure the extra tightening is going to move the carrier the amount needed either.
Fairly perplexed 😩

What part number did you use for the bearing?
What payload is the van?
Are you sure it's correct bearing?
Is the bearing retaining circlip fitted in the hub?

For the nut torque you may find it easier to tighten to 150nm then an extra 30 degrees rotation

What part number did you use for the bearing?
What payload is the van?
Are you sure it's correct bearing?
Is the bearing retaining Check up fitted in the hub?

For the nut torque you may find it easier to tighten to 150nm then an extra 30 degrees rotation
I ordered from Coastal Motorhomes and rang them to confirm the bearing: - Outer 90mm / Inner 55mm / Width 60mm

It's the Q18 model (motorhome). Even if I go 150nM and then 30 degrees I still can't see it moving that much further than where it is now. I have used an impact driver to tighten the nut so far which is a max of 330nM according to Makita's website

When several years ago I had a front wheel bearing failing on my x244, I gave the job of replacement to my local garage. The task was completed to my satisfaction.

Looking at eLearn the bearing is first pressed into the "steering knuckle" and secured with a circlip. (If the bearing was too wide, it would be impossible to fit the circlip.) Next the the steering knuckle, complete with bearing, is pressed onto the hub. If this second pressing operation has not been properly completed, it would account for the axial misalignment of the brake caliper and disc.

When I had to tighten the front hub nuts on my Talbot Express many years ago. I used a 3/4" drive socket and "T" bar with an extension tube (scrap water pipe). I then balanced on the exrension pipe,at the appropriate radius according to my weight.

Attachments

• Replace Front Bearing.pdf
    207 KB · Views: 52
Problem Solved :)
The bearing was fully home and the circlip was in, the hub hadn't been pushed in quite enough. A visit back to the garage and after 20T was applied the hub moved into position nicely.
Everything re-assembled and test drive done, no noise and no warm brakes or wheel.
Thanks for your input earlier chaps.

Back