Technical Wheel bearing /hub question please

Currently reading:
Technical Wheel bearing /hub question please

Billycamper

I have a 2003 ducato maxi and the front wheel bearing has collapsed.

Upon stripping it down I noticed the hub slid straight out of the bearing no problem and the hub is also loose in the new bearing .

From past experiences i thought the hub was meant to be pressed into the bearing after the bearing is pressed into the hub. Otherwise the only thing holding my wheel on would be the driveshaft nut?

Can anyone shed some light into the situation thanks

I have a 2003 ducato maxi and the front wheel bearing has collapsed.

Upon stripping it down I noticed the hub slid straight out of the bearing no problem and the hub is also loose in the new bearing .

From past experiences i thought the hub was meant to be pressed into the bearing after the bearing is pressed into the hub. Otherwise the only thing holding my wheel on would be the driveshaft nut?

Can anyone shed some light into the situation thanks
It's some years since I worked on a Ducato Maxi, but unless any one else can shed further light and assuming the hub is a sliding fit with no signs of wear, the hub nut is quite substantial and looking at my Autodata it seems to show the Maxi version torqued up to 495Nm if it is the 2.8, the other engine sizes depend on the hub nut size as I have marked in section 73 of the special notes.
Please confirm with other sources and sorry for photo quality.

Attachments

• DSCF0847.JPG
    DSCF0847.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0849.JPG
    DSCF0849.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 53
Yes it is the 2.8jtd. Just thought I would check before re assembling as I was told they were to be pressed into the bearing after the bearing is secured in housing with circlip.
Yes that's a pretty high torque figure so maybe they are mean to slide?

Yes it is the 2.8jtd. Just thought I would check before re assembling as I was told they were to be pressed into the bearing after the bearing is secured in housing with circlip.
Yes that's a pretty high torque figure so maybe they are mean to slide?
Assuming you can see no signs of wear and it slides in the new bearing with no obvious slackness, it should be fine.
Double check the torque figure elsewhere, although it is a 3.5 tonne vehicle so I expect it to be fairly high, I know on doing the rear wheel bearings on my twin wheel Iveco Daily's it was around 650Nm! Although fronts were under 300Nm as not FWD.
Do you think it possible the fronts failed due to not being correctly torqued to that level or were they the original ones?

Similar to @bugsymike it is some years since I worked on a formerly owned Talbot Express (rebadged Peugeot J5). The task was to refix the outer CV boots, which the local garage had messed up. The drive shafts had to come out of the housings for this work. The shafts were not pressed into the bearings, but the hub nut required a considerable torque, which was obtained by applying my measured mass, to an extension tube at a calculated radius from the hub.

If the OP browses here he will find a reference to a torque of 42daNm (420Nm) torque for M33 nuts, and perhaps other items of interest.

All this talk of wheel security stirs an old memory from perhaps 50+ years ago. While driving my Land Rover towards Tan Hill in the Northern Pennines, I came across an Austin Gypsy lacking a rear wheel. The driver was scrambling back up onto the road from the moor with the loose wheel. I think that the end of the half shaft had failed. My brother, (also a Land Rover enthusiast) and I, decided that this could not happen to us. On the Land Rover a tubular stub axle was used. The half shaft transmitted torque through the centre, and could be removed with the wheel in situ.

I think that they must have been replaced before as its done 200k miles and I'm not sure why it failed it started as a rumble then when I was going round a corner there was an almight bang and a grinding noise. I parked it up and just started to strip it.

I've ordered a new hub in just to check if the new bearing slides over that one with ease then all is OK I will reassemble. 420 or even 495 seems about right . I'm used to working on big trucks and buses. A wheel bearing on one of those is 1300nm

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know the result of the new hub once it arrives. Thanks again

Update. New hub arrived and is a press in fit. After cleaning the old hub it appears someone has sanded the old one down this perhaps contributed to my bearing failing.

**Hubs are to be pressed in to the bearing after the bearing is mounted and fastened in the carrier. **

Back