Technical Non starting x244 2.8jtd 2005

Currently reading:
Technical Non starting x244 2.8jtd 2005

Wanderlost

Hi, used this website nearly daily for troubleshooting my van and now need some advice pleez.

X244 2.8JTD 2005
Turns over but does not start even with easy start(AA guy tried).

No previous issues, I replaced the fuel filter a month ago and van ran for 10 mins no issues. Didn't start van for 2 weeks and now this permanent fault. Perhaps blocked High pressure pump with debris?

Spent 2 days trying to find if it was the immobiliser and now think it does not use it/ been deleted in the ECU. - never seen the yellow code icon ever. Tried the key without it's transponder and still did not see the code icon.

Key to 1st position starts the tank fuel filter and I can hear fuel running through the return pipes and back to the tank.
Red injector alarm light comes on.
OBD(tried 2) they say 1 fault stored but both allow it to be erased. So alarms before cranking

I thought it might be an injector but non were passing(non returning out the top relief). As so much fuel was returning to the tank it maybe a pressure sensor. So blocked the return flow which pushed fuel out of the filter seal. Not my best thinking! But learning.

Is this flow of diesel back to the tank is normal?? It's very noticeable and splashing back into the tank. I guess so if there is no pressure regulation to stop the tank pump which appears to be timed.

Tomoz I will check the filter heater and temp sensor.

From previous posts I do have 12v on the plug going to the high pressure solenoid and about 1.5 volts when the plug is plugged back in.

There is a small black box where all the fuel returns come to before heading back to the tank. Very difficult to reach and check which part Is retuning the fuel.

Thanks Chris

Update
U1600 Electronic Key Fatal light on.

Just got code off the MH. Never seen the key code logo light. I did take the dash off to see if I could test the LED but the dials held it together.

Some posts suggest the U1600 means other thing on other Fiat's, so I might not be thru this yet.

Whilst waiting for the OBD this week I got the van 'purring' on Brake fluid by pushing a small pipe towards the turbo and spraying into it, cranked and let it burn off the fluid until It spluttered and died.
-Pleased I was not looking at an mechanical engine(compression) issue.

I know the key antenna has 30 Ohms as I had already had a look through that circuit at the beginning. I took out the key transponder and still no Light.
From there decided to investigate the fuel side, but got stuck without an error code.

Will get my code and update later next week.

Does anyone know if the JTD Diesels(2005 2.8jtd) will do the 'emergency start procedure' that fiat say are for petrols (with the code from fiat).

I have seen different posts and has worked for one persons diesel.

I want to see if the immobiliser was the only fault before ploughing money into the MH. Thanks

Does anyone know if the JTD Diesels(2005 2.8jtd) will do the 'emergency start procedure' that fiat say are for petrols (with the code from fiat).

I have seen different posts and has worked for one persons diesel.

I want to see if the immobiliser was the only fault before ploughing money into the MH. Thanks
To the best of my knowledgr yes, it should work. Trouble is code is withheld on UK built motorhomes, alledgedly at request of insurance industry Thatcham centre. Most of us do not know to demand it until too late. Bit of a nonsense as European conversions come with code card.

MH is up and running.

Fiat dealer said no key code available due to age of MH.
So I had the ECU 'Immobiliser deleted' by GEL Automotive at Ipswich.

Taking MH for a run tomorrow as it has sat for 5 weeks and I get the red engine flash up when I push the accelerator. No errors on Multiecuscan.

He said ECU IMMO issue because I ran the MH batteries too low for an extended time- it 'browned out' the ECU. He advises to disconnect battery if storing vehicle.

He said they get ECU IMMO faults all the time on all males, cars/vans and tractors!

Dash Master(stoke on Trent) said he is kept busy with IMMO faults on all vehicles.

Thanks for all the advice

I think that the failure to supply the emergency and key codes is deplorable, but I doubt that we can do anything about it.

I have read several reports of MH electronics failing if the supplying battery is allowed to go flat. This applies to both base vehicle and habitation electronics.

The red light when accelerating is probably an overboost alarm, caused by a sticking wastgate on the turbo. See attached photo. Access to the underside of vehicle is needed for access.

Attachments

• Turbo + Crank & Speed Sensors (T).jpg
    Turbo + Crank & Speed Sensors (T).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Great follow up reply thankyou.

I will look at this. I once tried to manually move the rod with pliers but it was not going anywhere so I sprayed silicone grease on its ends.
At that time I had red light with heavy acceleration. Eventually sorted itself out.

Some more bedtime - YouTube research

Back