General Fiat 600

Currently reading:
General Fiat 600

Emm

Fiat Addict
Im due to look at a Fiat 600 with a view to buy in the next couple of days and was wondering if anyone registered on here own one, or could give me some pointers of what to look out for

cheers EMM :)

Hello
i have one :)
let me give you a few tips if you don't mind.
1st - think well wich fiat 600 you want. if you want the last ones from 1970 or older, with suicide doors.
if you allready decide it, and you know which car you want then you have to decide if you want a car restored or to restore.
My opinion after everything i passed with my 600 would be a fiat 600 with a good body and if possible with a good paint job. the mechanic parts are very easy to replace... and not expensive. so it's not very important to check if it's ok.

things that it's hard to find and expensive.. the original steering wheel, and the original rims. so check it and decide if you want original or not.

Then be sure to check all under the car... we don't want a fiat 600 with holes, we are not the flintstones. ;)
The ground, the doors, under the doors on this cars are very weak and they allways have holes so check it. theres complete panels new, but to put them in place youhave to pay to someone and it requires many time and money too :)

Make your questions. i'm here to answer ;)

Check pictures of my 600 on the presentation forum.
See ya

600's rot everywhere and are usually full of filler. check all box sections as they rot inside out due to water collection. they get so bad with water, they swish when you drive along!!. scuttles rot out and are a pig to repair, A and B pillars go weak as do the sills which are a major strenghtening point on the cars. florr pans rot out, as do around the front bonnet area, inner wings rot, outer wings rot, door fill with water and rot out. mechanically, they are ok, so nothing really to worry about. if viewing, pull all carpets up, take a magnate and check all the metal. prod the floor inside and underneath and the sills. inspect very very carefully. doors that are dropped and open and close badly indicate a wek chassis and leave well alone. then of cause there is all the electric issues associated with old italian cars. there not much electrics on a 600 thank god, but check its all working. problems found is put against the price of the car. so dont pay to much for it if it wants say a sill on it. panels are still available. enjoy!! :)

Back