General Fiat 500 wont start

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 wont start

Job done

My mother in law went to the shops on Thurs, when she came out turned the key everything lit up as usual but car wouldn't even try to start, battery seems fine as running lights and everything else works, a message came up "fuel cut off unavailable"... And a message about immobiliser, I towed the car home and I'm now trying to work out what's happened, dies anyone have any ideas.... Thanks in advance

When you turn the key to start what happens clicking? Lights go out? What year is the car? Have you tried the spare key?
I'd have a punt and say the battery has had it regardless of the lights, other things could be a failed earth strap to the engine
This is exactly how ours failed fine one moment dead the next at the shops

Last edited:
It's a 58 reg, when you turn key everything seems to come on radio lights etc but no clicking, no noise from starter motor and all lights stay on, no dimming of lights just message about fuel cut off comes up

Had she dropped the key? The internal chip can break, then the immobiliser is dead. However, the immobiliser not being recognised will usually allow it to crank, but not start.
Not cranking suggests the main earth cable from battery to engine is dead. They corrode internally, so can look fine at each end. By-pass it with jump leads to test.

See if there is voltage at the little wire at the starter, when the key is in the start position. If yes, suggests either starter is dead, or main cable faulty as above. If no, then ignition switch may be at fault. Is the switch sloppy from wear? Does it have a huge bunch of keys dangling? That can wear it out very quickly.

Back