General Fiat 500 twinair

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 twinair

Allyn78

I have a twin air Fiat 500 when you first start the car the battery light stays on and you have no power steering switch ignition off and then restart battery light goes out and the power steering works ive had the car scannned and the only code that comes up p061112
Can any body help

I have a twin air Fiat 500 when you first start the car the battery light stays on and you have no power steering switch ignition off and then restart battery light goes out and the power steering works ive had the car scannned and the only code that comes up p061112
Can any body help
Hi, sounds like a alternator issue🤔

Did anybody check the voltage at the battery?

I don't understand that error code though..?

Last edited:
Can any body help
The fault code should have been. P062115

Looks like you need to change the smart sensor! then check the charging rate with the the engine running to check the alternator is working correctly and if possible do a load test for starting voltage /cranking amps as the battery might need changing! if its either over three years old, and if the system has not been charging at the correct rate for a while!.

When the car was purchased it had a seized alternator which was changed which when this problem started

When the car was purchased it had a seized alternator which was changed which when this problem started
Or it could have been there before being traded.

Check what the alternator output is,

A plug in voltmeter is handy For this, as it's probably a SMART ALTERNATOR.. 👍

Doesn't charge constantly,

But your PAS issue is also related to battery voltage 😉

Always a chance you need another decent battery if the car had Alternator issues previously

Or it could have been there before being traded.

Check what the alternator output is,

A plug in voltmeter is handy For this, as it's probably a SMART ALTERNATOR.. 👍

Doesn't charge constantly,

But your PAS issue is also related to battery voltage 😉

Always a chance you need another decent battery if the car had Alternator issues previously
we are in agreement!

Or it could have been there before being traded.....
As mine was. :oops:

Here's my tuppence worth feel free to disagree...

Fiat 500's and many other vehicles, have an IC embedded on the negative battery terminal, known as an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), whose purpose is to lower emissions, and determine the batterys' ability to provide the start/stop service as well as many other things. Normally a single wire plug to the (also smart) alternator on a communication protocol called LIN.

IMO The IBS has failed If;

A. The charging system in not charging, and you have no dash panel warning light.

B. You have a newish battery with CCA in excess of 460A the higher this figure better, (but it must fit in the available space) & preferably AGM technology.

C. You have proven that both engine earth cables are at zero resistance, not by measuring with a digital multimeter. But by physically cleaning and/or replacing them.

D. When you unplug the IBS cable from the sensor and the battery charges at between ~13.1V & ~14.2V depending on load.
If when you unconnect the sensor cable you blip the throttle the alternator will self excite and the internal voltage regulator will control the charge as the old system used to do (assuming that the voltage regulator hasn't failed too). This also proves that your alternator is ok.

As mine was. :oops:

Here's my tuppence worth feel free to disagree...

Fiat 500's and many other vehicles, have an IC embedded on the negative battery terminal, known as an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), whose purpose is to lower emissions, and determine the batterys' ability to provide the start/stop service as well as many other things. Normally a single wire plug to the (also smart) alternator on a communication protocol called LIN.

IMO The IBS has failed If;

A. The charging system in not charging, and you have no dash panel warning light.

B. You have a newish battery with CCA in excess of 460A the higher this figure better, (but it must fit in the available space) & preferably AGM technology.

C. You have proven that both engine earth cables are at zero resistance, not by measuring with a digital multimeter. But by physically cleaning and/or replacing them.

D. When you unplug the IBS cable from the sensor and the battery charges at between ~13.1V & ~14.2V depending on load.
If when you unconnect the sensor cable you blip the throttle the alternator will self excite and the internal voltage regulator will control the charge as the old system used to do (assuming that the voltage regulator hasn't failed too). This also proves that your alternator is ok.
bet it gives ya the shudders thinking about yours again!🤨

I wonder what happened? :unsure:
not too much its just that despite knowing what im supposed to do at times i am a little "HAM-FISTED!) not careless or doing stuff in a hurry just clumsy! i guess! not major F**K ups just good at breaking things like trim clips! and once i took a headlight out being real careful with the bolts and tabs not to stress anything and then whilst holding it up in triumph i dropped the dam thing straight on to concreate and broke it!🤨😤

not too much its just that despite knowing what im supposed to do at times i am a little "HAM-FISTED!) not careless or doing stuff in a hurry just clumsy! i guess! not major F**K ups just good at breaking things like trim clips! and once i took a headlight out being real careful with the bolts and tabs not to stress anything and then whilst holding it up in triumph i dropped the dam thing straight on to concreate and broke it!🤨😤
I lay stuff out all neat on the garage floor in the order it came off then go inside for a cuppa, come back and kick it all over the garage floor.

Back